A semi-oriented radial measure for measuring the efficiency of decision making units with negative data, using DEA
AbstractData Envelopment Analysis (DEA) is a nonparametric method for measuring the efficiency of a set of decision making units such as firms or public sector agencies, first introduced into the operational research and management science literature by Charnes, Cooper, and Rhodes (CCR) [Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., Rhodes, E., 1978. Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. European Journal of Operational Research 2, 429-444]. The original DEA models were applicable only to technologies characterized by positive inputs/outputs. In subsequent literature there have been various approaches to enable DEA to deal with negative data. In this paper, we propose a semi-oriented radial measure, which permits the presence of variables which can take both negative and positive values. The model is applied to data on a notional effluent processing system to compare the results with those yielded by two alternative methods for dealing with negative data in DEA: The modified slacks-based model suggested by Sharp et al. [Sharp, J.A., Liu, W.B., Meng, W., 2006. A modified slacks-based measure model for data envelopment analysis with 'natural' negative outputs and inputs. Journal of Operational Research Society 57 (11) 1-6] and the range directional model developed by Portela et al. [Portela, M.C.A.S., Thanassoulis, E., Simpson, G., 2004. A directional distance approach to deal with negative data in DEA: An application to bank branches. Journal of Operational Research Society 55 (10) 1111-1121]. A further example explores the advantages of using the new model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 200 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data Envelopment Analysis Negative data in DEA Translation-invariant DEA Slack-based model Range directional measure Semi-oriented radial measure;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muliaman D. Hadad & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Wimboh Santoso & Karligash Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2009. "A New Approach to Dealing With Negative Numbers in Efficiency Analysis: An Application to the Indonesian Banking Sector," Discussion Paper Series 2009_20, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Dec 2009.
- Cheng, Gang & Zervopoulos, Panagiotis & Qian, Zhenhua, 2013.
"A variant of radial measure capable of dealing with negative inputs and outputs in data envelopment analysis,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 225(1), pages 100-105.
- Cheng, Gang & Zervopoulos, Panagiotis & Qian, Zhenhua, 2011. "A variant of radial measure capable of dealing with negative inputs and outputs in data envelopment analysis," MPRA Paper 30951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lu, Ching-Cheng & Chiu, Yung-Ho & Shyu, Ming-Kuang & Lee, Jen-Hui, 2013. "Measuring CO2 emission efficiency in OECD countries: Application of the Hybrid Efficiency model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 130-135.
- Muliaman D. Hadad & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Wimboh Santoso & Karligash Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2010. "Productivity Changes and Risk Management in Indonesian Banking: An Application of a New Approach to Constructing Malmquist Indices," Discussion Paper Series 2010_04, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Feb 2010.
- Antonella Basso & Stefania Funari, 2012. "Constant and variable returns to scale DEA models for socially responsible investment funds," Working Papers 2012_20, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Muliaman D. Hadad & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Wimboh Santoso & Karligash Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2009. "Productivity Changes in Indonesian Banking: Application of a New Approach to Estimating Malmquist Indices," Discussion Paper Series 2009_13, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2009.
- Pätäri, Eero & Leivo, Timo & Honkapuro, Samuli, 2012. "Enhancement of equity portfolio performance using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 786-797.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.