Indonesian regional welfare development, 1900–1990: New anthropometric evidence
AbstractThe study of heights provides a promising approach to a better understanding of the biological welfare of countries and regions for which conventional economic data are relatively sparse. This paper is based on a dataset previously unexploited: the individual records of nearly 10,000 Indonesian men conscripted into the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL) used together with individual data on another 10,000 Indonesians, recorded as part of the Indonesian Family Life Surveys (IFLS). These two sets of records provide the height and place of birth of members of birth cohorts spanning nearly the entire 20th century.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics & Human Biology.
Volume (Year): 11 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622964
Indonesia; Heights; Income inequality; Regional development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prados De La Escosura, Leandro, 2008.
"Inequality, poverty and the Kuznets curve in Spain, 1850–2000,"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 287-324, December.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2008. "Inequality, poverty, and the Kuznets curve in Spain : 1850-2000," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3933, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2007. "Inequality, poverty, and the Kuznets curve In Spain, 1850-2000," Working Papers in Economic History wp07-13, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, . "Inequality, poverty, and the Kuznets curve In Spain, 1850-2000," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/946, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- John Komlos, .
"The Height and Weight of West Point Cadets: Dietary Change in Antebellum America,"
Articles by John Komlos
32, Department of Economics, University of Munich.
- Komlos, John, 1987. "The Height and Weight of West Point Cadets: Dietary Change in Antebellum America," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(04), pages 897-927, December.
- A. Azzalini & A. Capitanio, 1999. "Statistical applications of the multivariate skew normal distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 579-602.
- Maddison, Angus, 2007. "Contours of the World Economy 1-2030 AD: Essays in Macro-Economic History," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199227204.
- van der Eng, Pierre, 2009. "Growth and Inequality: The Case of Indonesia, 1960-1997," MPRA Paper 12725, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guntupalli, Aravinda Meera & Baten, Joerg, 2006. "The development and inequality of heights in North, West, and East India 1915-1944," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 578-608, October.
- Gareth Austin & Joerg Baten & Bas Van Leeuwen, 2012. "The biological standard of living in early nineteenth-century West Africa: new anthropometric evidence for northern Ghana and Burkina Faso," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 65(4), pages 1280-1302, November.
- Franco Peracchi, 2008.
"Height and Economic Development in Italy, 1730-1980,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 475-81, May.
- Franco Peracchi, 2008. "Height and Economic Development in Italy, 1730–1980," CEIS Research Paper 108, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 10 Jul 2008.
- Richard H. Steckel, 1999. "Industrialization and Health in Historical Perspective," NBER Historical Working Papers 0118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bassino, Jean-Pascal & Coclanis, Peter A., 2008. "Economic transformation and biological welfare in colonial Burma: Regional differentiation in the evolution of average height," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 212-227, July.
- Leigh, Andrew & van der Eng, Pierre, 2009.
"Inequality in Indonesia: What can we learn from top incomes?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 209-212, February.
- Pierre van der Eng & Joerg Baten & Mojgan Stegl, 2010. "Long-Term Economic Growth and the Standard of Living in Indonesia," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2010-514, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Margo, Robert A. & Steckel, Richard H., 1983. "Heights of Native-Born Whites During the Antebellum Period," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 167-174, March.
- Komlos, John, 1998.
"Shrinking in a Growing Economy? The Mystery of Physical Stature during the Industrial Revolution,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(03), pages 779-802, September.
- John Komlos, . "Shrinking in a Growing Economy? The Mystery of Physical Stature during the Industrial Revolution," Articles by John Komlos 7, Department of Economics, University of Munich.
- Peter Timmer, 2004.
"The Road to Pro-Poor Growth: The Indonesian Experience in Regional Perspective,"
38, Center for Global Development.
- C. Peter Timmer, 2004. "The road to pro-poor growth: the Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 177-207.
- Richard H. Steckel, 1995. "Stature and the Standard of Living," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1903-1940, December.
- Bassino, Jean-Pascal, 2006. "Inequality in Japan (1892-1941): Physical stature, income, and health," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 62-88, January.
- Roderick Floud & Kenneth Wachter & Annabel Gregory, 1990. "Height, Health, and History: Nutritional Status in the United Kingdom, 1750-1980," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number flou90-1.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.