Method of moments estimation and identifiability of semiparametric nonlinear errors-in-variables models
AbstractThis paper deals with a nonlinear errors-in-variables model where the distributions of the unobserved predictor variables and of the measurement errors are nonparametric. Using the instrumental variable approach, we propose method of moments estimators for the unknown parameters and simulation-based estimators to overcome the possible computational difficulty of minimizing an objective function which involves multiple integrals. Both estimators are consistent and asymptotically normally distributed under fairly general regularity conditions. Moreover, root-n consistent semiparametric estimators and a rank condition for model identifiability are derived using the combined methods of the nonparametric technique and Fourier deconvolution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 165 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Fourier deconvolution; Identifiability; Instrumental variables; Measurement error; Method of moments; Root-n consistency; Semiparametric estimator; Simulation-based estimator;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Powell, James L., 1991. "Identification and estimation of polynomial errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 273-295, December.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1995. "Nonparametric Kernel Estimation for Semiparametric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 560-586, June.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1973. "Regression Analysis when the Dependent Variable is Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 997-1016, November.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1993. "Some aspects of measurement error in a censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 169-188, March.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988.
"Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves,"
504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995. "Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- Raymond J. Carroll & David Ruppert & Ciprian M. Crainiceanu & Tor D. Tosteson & Margaret R. Karagas, 2004. "Nonlinear and Nonparametric Regression and Instrumental Variables," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 736-750, January.
- Wang, Liqun, 1998. "Estimation of censored linear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 383-400, June.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 602, Econometric Society.
- Wang, Liqun, 2002. "A simple adjustment for measurement errors in some limited dependent variable models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 427-433, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Hsiao, C., 1992. "Nonlinear Latent Variable Models," Papers 9211, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Estimation of Nonlinear Models with Measurement Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 33-75, 01.
- Liqun Wang & Alexandre Leblanc, 2008. "Second-order nonlinear least squares estimation," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 60(4), pages 883-900, December.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "The nonlinear two-stage least-squares estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 105-110, July.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1990. "Two-stage instrumental variables estimators for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 311-332, June.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Hsiao, Cheng & Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom, 1984. "Latent variable models in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1321-1393 Elsevier.
- Liqun Wang & Cheng Hsiao, 2007. "Two-stage estimation of limited dependent variable models with errors-in-variables," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 426-438, 07.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Michael McAleer & Yoshihiko Nishiyama, 2010.
"Moment Restriction-based Econometric Methods: An Overview,"
KIER Working Papers
734, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Kunitomo, N. & McAleer, M.J. & Nishiyama, Y., 2010. "Moment Restriction-based Econometric Methods: An Overview," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-61, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Michael McAleer & Yoshihiko Nishiyama, 2010. "Moment Restriction-based Econometric Methods: An Overview," Working Papers in Economics 10/65, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Zhang, Jun & Feng, Zhenghui & Zhou, Bu, 2014. "A revisit to correlation analysis for distortion measurement error data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 116-129.
- ZINDE-WALSH, Victoria, 2007.
"Errors-in-Variables Models : A Generalized Functions Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
14-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2009. "Errors-In-Variables Models: A Generalized Functions Approach," Departmental Working Papers 2009-09, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Michele De Nadai & Arthur Lewbel, 2012. "Nonparametric Errors in Variables Models with Measurement Errors on both sides of the Equation," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 790, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2013.
- Susanne Schennach, 2013. "Convolution without independence," CeMMAP working papers CWP46/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Susanne Schennach, 2012. "Measurement error in nonlinear models- a review," CeMMAP working papers CWP41/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Taraneh Abarin & Liqun Wang, 2012. "Instrumental variable approach to covariate measurement error in generalized linear models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 475-493, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.