Method of moments estimation and identifiability of semiparametric nonlinear errors-in-variables models
AbstractThis paper deals with a nonlinear errors-in-variables model where the distributions of the unobserved predictor variables and of the measurement errors are nonparametric. Using the instrumental variable approach, we propose method of moments estimators for the unknown parameters and simulation-based estimators to overcome the possible computational difficulty of minimizing an objective function which involves multiple integrals. Both estimators are consistent and asymptotically normally distributed under fairly general regularity conditions. Moreover, root-n consistent semiparametric estimators and a rank condition for model identifiability are derived using the combined methods of the nonparametric technique and Fourier deconvolution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 165 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Fourier deconvolution; Identifiability; Instrumental variables; Measurement error; Method of moments; Root-n consistency; Semiparametric estimator; Simulation-based estimator;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liqun Wang & Cheng Hsiao, 2007. "Two-stage estimation of limited dependent variable models with errors-in-variables," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 426-438, 07.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "The nonlinear two-stage least-squares estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 105-110, July.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Hsiao, Cheng & Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom, 1984. "Latent variable models in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1321-1393 Elsevier.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 602, Econometric Society.
- Hsiao, C., 1992. "Nonlinear Latent Variable Models," Papers 9211, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1993. "Some aspects of measurement error in a censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 169-188, March.
- Wang, Liqun, 1998. "Estimation of censored linear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 383-400, June.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1995. "Nonparametric Kernel Estimation for Semiparametric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 560-586, June.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Raymond J. Carroll & David Ruppert & Ciprian M. Crainiceanu & Tor D. Tosteson & Margaret R. Karagas, 2004. "Nonlinear and Nonparametric Regression and Instrumental Variables," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 736-750, January.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1990. "Two-stage instrumental variables estimators for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 311-332, June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Wang, Liqun, 2002. "A simple adjustment for measurement errors in some limited dependent variable models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 427-433, July.
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Powell, James L., 1991. "Identification and estimation of polynomial errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 273-295, December.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995.
"Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988. "Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves," Working papers 504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1973. "Regression Analysis when the Dependent Variable is Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 997-1016, November.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Estimation of Nonlinear Models with Measurement Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 33-75, 01.
- Taraneh Abarin & Liqun Wang, 2012. "Instrumental variable approach to covariate measurement error in generalized linear models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 475-493, June.
- Susanne Schennach, 2013. "Convolution without independence," CeMMAP working papers CWP46/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2009.
"Errors-In-Variables Models: A Generalized Functions Approach,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-09, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- ZINDE-WALSH, Victoria, 2007. "Errors-in-Variables Models : A Generalized Functions Approach," Cahiers de recherche 14-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Susanne Schennach, 2012. "Measurement error in nonlinear models- a review," CeMMAP working papers CWP41/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michele De Nadai & Arthur Lewbel, 2012. "Nonparametric Errors in Variables Models with Measurement Errors on both sides of the Equation," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 790, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.