Regressions with Berkson errors in covariates - A nonparametric approach
AbstractThis paper establishes that so-called instrumental variables enable the identification and the estimation of a fully nonparametric regression model with Berkson-type measurement error in the regressors. An estimator is proposed and proven to be consistent. Its practical performance and feasibility are investigated via Monte Carlo simulations as well as through an epidemiological application investigating the effect of particulate air pollution on respiratory health. These examples illustrate that Berkson errors can clearly not be neglected in nonlinear regression models and that the proposed method represents an effective remedy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1308.2836.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Annals of Statistics 2013, Vol. 41, No. 3, 1642-1668
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Susanne Schennach, 2013. "Regressions with Berkson errors in covariates- a nonparametric approach," CeMMAP working papers CWP22/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Aprajit Mahajan, 2006. "Identification and Estimation of Regression Models with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 631-665, 05.
- Yingyao Hu & Susanne M. Schennach, 2008. "Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 195-216, 01.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
602, Econometric Society.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- Li, Tong & Vuong, Quang, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of the Measurement Error Model Using Multiple Indicators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 139-165, May.
- Raymond J. Carroll & Aurore Delaigle & Peter Hall, 2007. "Non-parametric regression estimation from data contaminated by a mixture of Berkson and classical errors," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(5), pages 859-878.
- Aurore Delaigle & Peter Hall & Peihua Qiu, 2006. "Nonparametric methods for solving the Berkson errors-in-variables problem," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 201-220.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Estimation of Nonlinear Models with Measurement Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 33-75, 01.
- van der Laan Mark J. & Dudoit Sandrine & Keles Sunduz, 2004. "Asymptotic Optimality of Likelihood-Based Cross-Validation," Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Susanne Schennach, 2012. "Measurement error in nonlinear models- a review," CeMMAP working papers CWP41/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.