A simple way to calculate the Gini coefficient, and some implications
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 56 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1984. "A note on the calculation and interpretation of the Gini index," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 363-368.
- Berrebi, Z. M. & Silber, Jacques, 1987. "Regional differences and the components of growth and inequality change," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 295-298.
- Pyatt, Graham & Chen, Chau-nan & Fei, John, 1980. "The Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 451-73, November.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1976. "On the Interpretation and Disaggregation of Gini Coefficients," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 243-55, June.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "The Dynamics of Spatial Inequality and Polarisation in Iran," Working Papers 2003_17, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Stéphane Mussard & Jules Sadefo Kamdem & Françoise Seyte & Michel Terraza, 2010.
"Quadratic Pen's Parade and the Computation of the Gini index,"
Cahiers de recherche
10-18, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Mussard & J. Sadefo Kamdem & Françoise Seyte & Michel Terraza, 2011. "Quadratic Pen'S Parade And The Computation Of The Gini Index," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(3), pages 583-587, 09.
- Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "La décomposition des mesures d’inégalité en sources de revenu : l’indice de Gini et les généralisations," Cahiers de recherche 06-05, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Kajal Lahiri & Zulkarnain Pulungan, 2009.
"Health Inequality and Its Determinants in New York,"
09-04, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Kajal Lahiri & Zulkarnain Pulungan, 2006. "Health Inequality and Its Determinants in New York," Discussion Papers 06-03, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Nicolás Garrido & Adriana Marina, 2002. "Income mobility: a characterization in Argentina using archetypes," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 29(1 Year 20), pages 123-138, June.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Pulungan, Zulkarnain, 2007. "Income-related health disparity and its determinants in New York state: racial/ethnic and geographical comparisons," MPRA Paper 21694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van Leeuwen, Bas & van Leeuwen-Li, Jieli & Foldvari, Peter, 2012. "Education as a driver of income inequality in twentieth-century Africa," MPRA Paper 43574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Allanson, Paul & Petrie, Dennis & Gerdtham, Ulf-G, 2008.
"Longitudinal analysis of income-related health inequality,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-38, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Allanson, Paul & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Petrie, Dennis, 2010. "Longitudinal analysis of income-related health inequality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 78-86, January.
- Paul Allanson & Ulf-G Gerdtham & Dennis Petrie, 2008. "Longitudinal analysis of income-related health inequality," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 214, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Rahman, Tauhidur & Mittelhammer, Ronald C., 2004. "Distribution Of Human Development, Child Labor And Poverty In India," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20333, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sadefo Kamdem, Jules, 2012. "A nice estimation of Gini index and power Pen's parade," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1299-1304.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Spatial inequality and polarisation in India," Working Papers 2004_5, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Amlan Majumder & Takayoshi Kusago, 2013. "A discreet approach to study the distribution-free downward biases of Gini coefficient and the methods of correction in cases of small observations," Working Papers 298, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "International Convergence and Inequality of Human Development: 1975-2001," Working Papers 2006_3, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Human Development and Regional Disparities in India," Working Papers 2003_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Xander Koolman & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2004. "On the interpretation of a concentration index of inequality," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 649-656.
- Kevin Sylwester, 2003. "Changes in income inequality and the black market premium," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 403-413.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2011. "Equity in health and health care," CORE Discussion Papers 2011026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Osvaldo Nina & Esteban Nina, 2004. "El Efecto Redistributivo de los Impuestos y del Gasto Social Corriente en Bolivia," Development Research Working Paper Series 05/2004, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Osvaldo Nina, 2006. "El Impacto Distributivo de la Política Fiscal en Bolivia," Development Research Working Paper Series 16/2006, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Adriana Marina, 2000. "Economic convergence of the first and second moment in the provinces of Argentina," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 27(2 Year 20), pages 259-277, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.