Impact of Italian smoking ban on business activity of restaurants, cafés and bars
AbstractWe estimate the economic impact of the Italian smoking ban of 2005 on the catering sector using a quasi-experimental design. Our study indicates that the Italian smoking ban had a slight negative impact on sales of cafés and restaurants but had no effect on profits, earnings, or employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 121 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Smoking ban; Difference-in-differences; Café and restaurant revenues;
Other versions of this item:
- Luca, Pieroni & Pierluigi, Daddi & Luca, Salmasi, 2013. "Impact of Italian smoking ban on business activity of restaurants, cafès and bars," MPRA Paper 47369, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pieroni, Luca & Chiavarini, Manuela & Minelli, Liliana & Salmasi, Luca, 2013.
"The role of anti-smoking legislation on cigarette and alcohol consumption habits in Italy,"
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 116-126.
- Pieroni, Luca & Chiavarini, Manuela & Minelli, Liliana & Salmasi, Luca, 2012. "The role of anti-smoking legislation on cigarette and alcohol consumption habits in Italy," MPRA Paper 42480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paolo Buonanno & Marco Ranzani, 2012.
"Thank you for not smoking: evidence from the Italian smoking ban,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
246, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Buonanno, Paolo & Ranzani, Marco, 2013. "Thank you for not smoking: Evidence from the Italian smoking ban," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 192-199.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.