Oil prices and the macroeconomy reconsideration for Germany: Using continuous wavelet
AbstractThe cross wavelet analysis is used in the study to decompose the time–frequency effects of oil price changes on the German macroeconomy. We argue that the relationship between oil prices and industrial production is ambiguous. Our results show that there are both phase and anti-phase relationships between oil price returns and inflation and in most of the cases inflation is the leading variable. Additional evidence shows that there is a huge inconsistency between the phase-difference of the return series of oil price and industrial production at the 12–16month frequency bands but at the 16–24month frequency bands, we find that oil price changes that have occurred during 1982–2009 were demand-driven. In a nutshell our results suggest that oil price changes that have occurred after 1994 were demand-driven and the volatility of the inflation rate started to decrease after the 1990s but the volatility of the industrial output growth rate started to decrease after the 2000s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 30 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Business cycles; Oil shocks; Wavelets; Cross wavelets; Wavelet coherency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- C49 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Olaolu Richard Olayeni, 2013. "Oil prices and trade balance: A wavelet based analysis for India," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 2270-2286.
- Mohamed Arouri & Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Frédéric Teulon, 2014.
"Oil prices and trade balance: a frequency domain analysis for India,"
2014-116, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Mohamed Arouri & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "Oil prices and trade balance: A frequency domain analysis for India," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(2), pages 663-680.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Oros, Cornel & Albulescu, Claudiu Tiberiu, 2014. "Revisiting the inflation–output gap relationship for France using a wavelet transform approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 464-475.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.