Escaping RGBland: Selecting colors for statistical graphics
AbstractStatistical graphics are often augmented by the use of color coding information contained in some variable. When this involves the shading of areas (and not only points or lines)--e.g.,Â as in bar plots, pie charts, mosaic displays or heatmaps--it is important that the colors are perceptually based and do not introduce optical illusions or systematic bias. Based on the perceptually-based Hue-Chroma-Luminance (HCL) color space suitable color palettes are derived for coding categorical data (qualitative palettes) and numerical variables (sequential and diverging palettes).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 53 (2009)
Issue (Month): 9 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tenenhaus, Arthur & Giron, Alain & Viennet, Emmanuel & Bera, Michel & Saporta, Gilbert & Fertil, Bernard, 2007. "Kernel logistic PLS: A tool for supervised nonlinear dimensionality reduction and binary classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4083-4100, May.
- Kneib, Thomas, 2006. "Mixed model-based inference in geoadditive hazard regression for interval-censored survival times," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 777-792, November.
- Gelfand, Alan E. & Banerjee, Sudipto & Sirmans, C.F. & Tu, Yong & Eng Ong, Seow, 2007. "Multilevel modeling using spatial processes: Application to the Singapore housing market," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3567-3579, April.
- David Meyer & Achim Zeileis & Kurt Hornik, . "The Strucplot Framework: Visualizing Multi-way Contingency Tables with vcd," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(i03).
- Harezlak, Jaroslaw & Coull, Brent A. & Laird, Nan M. & Magari, Shannon R. & Christiani, David C., 2007. "Penalized solutions to functional regression problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4911-4925, June.
- Reto Stauffer & Georg J. Mayr & Markus Dabernig & Achim Zeileis, 2013. "Somewhere over the Rainbow: How to Make Effective Use of Colors in Meteorological Visualizations," Working Papers 2013-37, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Matthias Templ & Andreas Alfons & Peter Filzmoser, 2012. "Exploring incomplete data using visualization techniques," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 29-47, April.
- Liesbeth C. de Wreede & Marta Fiocco & Hein Putter, . "mstate: An R Package for the Analysis of Competing Risks and Multi-State Models," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 38(i07).
- Tseng, George C., 2010. "Quantile map: Simultaneous visualization of patterns in many distributions with application to tandem mass spectrometry," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1124-1137, April.
- John Fox & Jangman Hong, . "Effect Displays in R for Multinomial and Proportional-Odds Logit Models: Extensions to the effects Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 32(i01).
- Emura, Takeshi & Lin, Yi-Shuan, 2013. "A comparison of normal approximation rules for attribute control charts," MPRA Paper 51029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.