Spatially targeting the distribution of agricultural input stockists in Malawi
AbstractDeveloping the rural agricultural input markets in sub-Saharan Africa can improve the current low productivity of smallholder farmers. Malawi has seen significant efforts in addressing the availability of agricultural inputs at village level in the last few years; for example, the improvement of rural agro-dealer networks. Nevertheless inputs are still difficult to obtain for many remote smallholder farmers. Spatial analysis can help in the expansion of input stockists, especially agro-dealer networks, by assessing the coverage of existing input outlets and deriving optimum locations for village-level input stockists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Agricultural Systems.
Volume (Year): 104 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy
Rural agro-dealer networks; Locational efficiency; Geographical Information Systems; Accessibility; Set covering problem;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin Spaulding & Robert Cromley, 2007. "Integrating the maximum capture problem into a GIS framework," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 267-288, September.
- ReVelle, C. S. & Eiselt, H. A., 2005. "Location analysis: A synthesis and survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 1-19, August.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas. & Johnson, Michael., 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
Food policy reports
10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kamara, Abdul B., 2004. "The impact of market access on input use and agricultural productivity: Evidence from Machakos District, Kenya," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 43(2), June.
- Kelly, Valerie & Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Gordon, Ann, 2003. "Expanding access to agricultural inputs in Africa: a review of recent market development experience," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 379-404, August.
- Jacoby, Hanan G., 1998.
"Access to markets and the benefits of rural roads,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2028, The World Bank.
- Dawn Thilmany & Nicole McKenney & David Mushinski & Stephan Weiler, 2005. "Beggar-thy-neighbor economic development: A note on the effect of geographic interdependencies in rural retail markets," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 593-605, 09.
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward & Jamie Morrison & Georg Cadisch, 2004.
"Agricultural development and pro-poor economic growth in sub-Saharan Africa: potential and policy,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 37-57.
- Kydd, Jonathan & Dorward, Andrew & Morrison, Jamie & Cadisch, Georg, 2002. "Agricultural Development And Pro Poor Economic Growth In Sub Saharan Africa: Potential And Policy," ADU Working Papers 10920, Imperial College at Wye, Department of Agricultural Sciences.
- Drezner, Tammy & Drezner, Zvi & Salhi, Said, 2002. "Solving the multiple competitive facilities location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 138-151, October.
- Chilowa, Wycliffe, 1998. "The impact of agricultural liberalisation on food security in Malawi," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 553-569, December.
- T. D. Klastorin, 1979. "Note--On the Maximal Covering Location Problem and the Generalized Assignment Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(1), pages 107-112, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.