On testing for unit roots and the initial observation
AbstractRecent work has highlighted the crucial dependence of the power of existing unit root tests on the deviation of the initial observation from the deterministic component of the series. In practical applications, it is useful to have a test available with power more robust to the initial condition. In this paper, we propose such a procedure based on a data-dependent weighted average of the standard Dickey--Fuller and Elliott--Rothenberg--Stock tests. Simulation of the new test's power reveals very good performance across different magnitudes of the initial condition, and the procedure's value is further highlighted by application to U.S. producer price inflation. Copyright 2005 Royal Economic Society
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2013. "Recursive adjustment, unit root tests and structural breaks," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 62-82, 01.
- Elliott, Graham & Muller, Ulrich K., 2006. "Minimizing the impact of the initial condition on testing for unit roots," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 285-310.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & Nikolaos D. Sakkas, 2008. "Panel root tests and the impact of initial observations," Discussion Papers 06/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Meng, Ming & Lee, Hyejin & Cho, Myeong Hyeon & Lee, Junsoo, 2013. "Impacts of the initial observation on unit root tests using recursive demeaning and detrending procedures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 195-199.
- Ahlgren, Niklas & Juselius, Mikael, 2009.
"Tests for Cointegration Rank and the Initial Condition,"
539, Hanken School of Economics.
- Niklas Ahlgren & Mikael Juselius, 2012. "Tests for cointegration rank and the initial condition," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 667-691, June.
- David Harris & David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & Nikoloas D. Sakkas, 2008.
"Local asymptotic power of the Im-Pesaran-Shin panel unit root test and the impact of initial observations,"
08/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Harris, David & Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Sakkas, Nikolaos D., 2010. "Local Asymptotic Power Of The Im-Pesaran-Shin Panel Unit Root Test And The Impact Of Initial Observations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 311-324, February.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2010.
"The impact of the initial condition on robust tests for a linear trend,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(4), pages 292-302, 07.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2009. "The impact of the initial condition on robust tests for a linear trend," Discussion Papers 09/03, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, .
"The power performance of fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for structural breaks,"
13/01, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2013. "The Power Performance of Fixed-T Panel Unit Root Tests allowing for Structural Breaks," MPRA Paper 46012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anton Skrobotov, 2013. "Double Unit Roots Testing, GLS-detrending and Uncertainty over the Initial Conditions," Working Papers 0083, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.