The Power Performance of Fixed-T Panel Unit Root Tests allowing for Structural Breaks
AbstractThe asymptotic local power of least squares based fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for a structural break in their individual effects and/or incidental trends of the AR(1) panel data model is studied. These tests correct the least squares estimator of the autoregressive coefficient of this panel data model for its inconsistency due to the individual effects and/or incidental trends of the panel. The limiting distributions of the tests are analytically derived under a sequence of local alternatives, assuming that the cross-sectional dimension of the tests (N) grows large. It is shown that the considered fixed-T tests have local power which tends to unity fast only if the panel data model includes individual effects. For panel data models with incidental trends, the power of the tests becomes trivial. However, this problem does not always appear if the tests allow for serial correlation of the error term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 46012.
Date of creation: 09 Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Panel data; unit root tests; structural breaks; local power; serial correlation; incidental trends;
Other versions of this item:
- Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, . "The power performance of fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for structural breaks," Discussion Papers 13/01, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-04-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-04-13 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kruiniger, Hugo, 2008. "Maximum likelihood estimation and inference methods for the covariance stationary panel AR(1)/unit root model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 447-464, June.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005.
"Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.38, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Moon, Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007. "Incidental trends and the power of panel unit root tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 416-459, December.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1435, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2004. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm414, Yale School of Management.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne, 2005. "On testing for unit roots and the initial observation," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(1), pages 97-111, 03.
- David Harris & David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & Nikoloas D. Sakkas, 2008.
"Local asymptotic power of the Im-Pesaran-Shin panel unit root test and the impact of initial observations,"
08/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Harris, David & Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Sakkas, Nikolaos D., 2010. "Local Asymptotic Power Of The Im-Pesaran-Shin Panel Unit Root Test And The Impact Of Initial Observations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 311-324, February.
- Pauwels Laurent L. & Chan Felix & Mancini Griffoli Tommaso, 2012. "Testing for Structural Change in Heterogeneous Panels with an Application to the Euro's Trade Effect," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 1-35, November.
- Harris, David & Leybourne, Stephen & McCabe, Brendan, 2005. "Panel Stationarity Tests for Purchasing Power Parity With Cross-Sectional Dependence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 395-409, October.
- Kaddour Hadri & Rolf Larsson & Yao Rao, 2012. "Testing For Stationarity With A Break In Panels Where The Time Dimension Is Finite," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64, pages s123-s148, December.
- Edith Madsen, 2010. "Unit root inference in panel data models where the time-series dimension is fixed: a comparison of different tests," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(1), pages 63-94, 02.
- Jushan Bai & Josep Llu�s Carrion-I-Silvestre, 2009.
"Structural Changes, Common Stochastic Trends, and Unit Roots in Panel Data,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 76(2), pages 471-501.
- Jushan Bai; Josep LluÃs Carrion-i-Silvestre, 2004. "Structural changes, common stochastic trends and unit roots in panel data," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 345, Econometric Society.
- Loukia Meligkotsidou & Elias Tzavalis & Ioannis Vrontos, 2011. "A Bayesian Analysis of Unit Roots and Structural Breaks in the Level, Trend, and Error Variance of Autoregressive Models of Economic Series," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 208-249.
- Loukia Meligkotsidou & Elias Tzavalis & Ioannis D. Vrontos, 2004. "A Bayesian Analysis of Unit Roots and Structural Breaks in the Level and the Error Variance of Autoregressive Models," Working Papers 514, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999.
"Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, . "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jinyong Hahn & Guido Kuersteiner, 2002. "Asymptotically Unbiased Inference for a Dynamic Panel Model with Fixed Effects when Both "n" and "T" Are Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1639-1657, July.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2012. "Generalized �Fixed-T Panel Unit Root Tests Allowing for Structural Breaks," MPRA Paper 43128, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hugo Kruiniger & Elias Tzavalis, 2002.
"Testing for unit roots in short dynamic panels with serially correlated and heteroskedastic disturbance terms,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B5-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Hugo Kruiniger & Elias Tzavalis, 2002. "Testing for Unit Roots in Short Dynamic Panels with Serially Correlated and Heteroscedastic Disturbance Terms," Working Papers 459, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2008. "Asymptotic local power of pooled t-ratio tests for unit roots in panels with fixed effects," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 80-104, 03.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.