Local asymptotic power of the Im-Pesaran-Shin panel unit root test and the impact of initial observations
AbstractIn this note we derive the local asymptotic power function of the standardized averaged Dickey-Fuller panel unit root statistic of Im, Pesaran and Shin (2003, Journal of Econometrics, 115, 53-74), allowing for heterogeneous deterministic intercept terms. We consider the situation where the deviation of the initial observation from the underlying intercept term in each individual time series may not be asymptotically negligible. We find that power decreases monotonically as the absolute values of the initial conditions increase in magnitude, in direct contrast to the univariate case. Finite sample simulations confirm the relevance of this result for practical applications, demonstrating that the power of the test can be very low for values of T and N typically encountered in practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics in its series Discussion Papers with number 08/02.
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/grangercentre/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Harris, David & Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Sakkas, Nikolaos D., 2010. "Local Asymptotic Power Of The Im-Pesaran-Shin Panel Unit Root Test And The Impact Of Initial Observations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 311-324, February.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich K. M¸ller & Graham Elliott, 2003. "Tests for Unit Roots and the Initial Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1269-1286, 07.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne, 2005. "On testing for unit roots and the initial observation," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(1), pages 97-111, 03.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1981. "Testing for Unit Roots: 1," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 753-79, May.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smit, L.V. & Yamagata, T., 2007.
"Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0775, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Vanessa Smith, L. & Yamagata, Takashi, 2013. "Panel unit root tests in the presence of a multifactor error structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 94-115.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, L. Vanessa & Yamagata, Takashi, 2007. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," IZA Discussion Papers 3254, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 2193, CESifo Group Munich.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," Discussion Papers 08/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Joakim Westerlund & J�rg Breitung, 2013. "Lessons from a Decade of IPS and LLC," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5-6), pages 547-591, August.
- Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, . "The local power of fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for serially correlated errors," Discussion Papers 12/01, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Larsson, Rolf, 2012. "Testing for a unit root in a random coefficient panel data model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 254-273.
- Joakim Westerlund & Mehdi Hosseinkouchack & Martin Solberger, . "The Local Power of the CADF and CIPS Panel Unit Root Tests," Financial Econometics Series 2014_05, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Joakim Westerlund, . "Pooled Panel Unit Root Tests and the Effect of Past Initialization," Financial Econometics Series 2014_06, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2013.
"The Power Performance of Fixed-T Panel Unit Root Tests allowing for Structural Breaks,"
46012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, . "The power performance of fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for structural breaks," Discussion Papers 13/01, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Becheri, I.G. & Drost, F.C. & Akker, R. van den, 2013. "Asymptotically UMP Panel Unit Root Tests," Discussion Paper 2013-017, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.