Gasoline consumption in China: a dynamic panel data analysis
AbstractIn this article, the relationship between gasoline consumption, real GDP, real gasoline price and road infrastructure in China is re-estimated in order to update and extend the estimates documented in the literature. Panel data for 17 Chinese provinces from 2003 to 2009 are analyzed under a recently proposed dynamic general method of moments (GMM) estimation technique. The long-run income and price elasticities are estimated to be 1.10 and -0.17, respectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Chinese gasoline consumption; dynamic panel data; price and income elasticites;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramanathan, R., 1999. "Short- and long-run elasticities of gasoline demand in India: An empirical analysis using cointegration techniques," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Bentzen, Jan, 1994. "An empirical analysis of gasoline demand in Denmark using cointegration techniques," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 139-143, April.
- Kenneth B. Medlock III & Ronald Soligo, 2001. "Economic Development and End-Use Energy Demand," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 77-105.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Eltony, M. N. & Al-Mutairi, N. H., 1995. "Demand for gasoline in Kuwait : An empirical analysis using cointegration techniques," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 249-253, July.
- Lennart Flood & Nizamul Islam & Thomas Sterner, 2010.
"Are demand elasticities affected by politically determined tax levels? Simultaneous estimates of gasoline demand and price,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 325-328.
- Flood, Lennart & Islam, Nizamul & Sterner, Thomas, 2007. "Are demand elasticities affected by politically determined tax levels? : simultaneous estimates of gasoline demand and price," Working Papers in Economics 274, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Kui-Yin Cheung & Elspeth Thomson, 2004. "The Demand for Gasoline in China: A Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 533-544.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2007.
"GMM Estimation for Dynamic Panels with Fixed Effects and Strong Instruments at Unity,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1599, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Han, Chirok & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Gmm Estimation For Dynamic Panels With Fixed Effects And Strong Instruments At Unity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 119-151, February.
- Polemis, Michael L., 2006. "Empirical assessment of the determinants of road energy demand in Greece," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 385-403, May.
- Leung, Guy C.K., 2010. "China's oil use, 1990-2008," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 932-944, February.
- Alves, Denisard C. O. & De Losso da Silveira Bueno, Rodrigo, 2003. "Short-run, long-run and cross elasticities of gasoline demand in Brazil," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 191-199, March.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.