Regional Policy In The Eu Less Favoured Regions For The Period 2000-2006: An Assessment Of The Expenditure Allocation And Governance
AbstractThe European Union regional policy is targeting to strength internal cohesion, seeking to improve the performance of the whole territory but with special emphasis on the less favored regions. In this paper we analyze the effectiveness of the Structural Funds in Objective 1 regions during the programming period, 2000-2006. Firstly, the EU expenditure is divided into seven categories, with the aim to identify which of them show a positive and real contribution to growth. Secondly, we test the existence of a national influence on the regional capability to take advantage from Structural Funds. Finally, we show how this country effect is related to the quality of governance of each country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Leonardi, 2006. "Cohesion in the European Union," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 155-166.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008.
"Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999: A spatial econometric analysis,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 219-244, 06.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2003. "Regional Convergence And The Impact Of European Structural Funds Over 1989-1999: A Spatial Econometric Analysis," Urban/Regional 0310005, EconWPA, revised 12 Feb 2004.
- John Bradley, 2006. "Evaluating the impact of European Union Cohesion policy in less-developed countries and regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 189-200.
- Paul Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2009.
"Urban growth drivers in a Europe of sticky people and implicit boundaries,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 85-115, January.
- Stefano Magrini & Paul Cheshire, 2008. "Urban growth drivers in a Europe of sticky people and implicit boundaries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33182, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paul Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2008. "Urban growth drivers in a Europe of sticky people and implicit boundaries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 30774, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paul Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2008. "Urban Growth Drivers in a Europe of Sticky People and Implicit Boundaries," SERC Discussion Papers 0010, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Julie Le Gallo & Sandy Dall'erba, 2006. "Evaluating the Temporal and Spatial Heterogeneity of the European Convergence Process, 1980-1999," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 269-288.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2009.
"Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
72/2009, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Battisti, Michele & Di Vaio, Gianfranco, 2010. "Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 12-21, January.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2009. "Institutions and geography: Empirical test of spatial growth models for European regions," Working Papers CELEG 0907, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- John Bradley & Gerhard Untiedt, 2008. "EU cohesion policy and “conditional” effectiveness: What do cross-section regressions tell us?," Working Papers 4-2008, GEFRA - Gesellschaft fuer Finanz- und Regionalanalysen.
- John Bachtler & Colin Wren, 2006. "Evaluation of European Union Cohesion policy: Research questions and policy challenges," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 143-153.
- Ramajo, Julián & Márquez, Miguel A. & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Salinas, María M., 2008. "Spatial heterogeneity and interregional spillovers in the European Union: Do cohesion policies encourage convergence across regions?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 551-567, April.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2005.
"The effectiveness of structural policy in the European Union: An empirical analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142546, Tilburg University.
- Maaike Beugelsdijk & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Structural Policy in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 37-51, 03.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.