VAR Analysis of the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Vietnam
AbstractUnderstanding the monetary transmission mechanism is crucial to central bankers. We analyze the monetary transmission mechanism in Vietnam, using the vector autoregression approach (VAR) and focusing on the reduced-form relationships between money, real output, price level, real interest rate, real exchange rate and credit. We find consistent evidence that monetary policy can affect real output. Surprisingly, the connection between money and inflation is less clear in the Vietnam case. As for the transmission mechanism, the credit and exchange rate channels are more important than the interest rate channel.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piti Disyatat & Pinnarat Wongsinsirikul, 2002.
"Monetary Policy and the Transmission Mechanism in Thailand,"
2002-01, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Disyatat, Piti & Vongsinsirikul, Pinnarat, 2003. "Monetary policy and the transmission mechanism in Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 389-418, June.
- Kim-Leng GOH & Chin-Sieng CHONG & Sook-Lu YONG, 2007. "Bank Lending Channel For Monetary Policy Transmission In Malaysia: An Ardl Approach," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(2).
- Hsing, Y., 2004. "Responses of Argentine Output to Shocks to Monetary Policy, Fiscal Policy and Exchange Rates: A VAR Model," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(1).
- Peter Montiel & Antonio Spilimbergo & Prachi Mishra, 2010.
"Monetary Transmission in Low Income Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
10/223, International Monetary Fund.
- Prachi Mishra & Antonio Spilimbergo & Peter Montiel, 2010. "Monetary transmission in low income countries," Department of Economics Working Papers 2010-14, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Prachi Mishra & Antonio Spilimbergo & Peter Montiel, 2010. "Monetary transmission in low income countries," Center for Development Economics 2010-06, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Mishra, Prachi & Montiel, Peter J & Spilimbergo, Antonio, 2010. "Monetary transmission in low income countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 7951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Khundrakpam, Jeevan Kumar & Jain, Rajeev, 2012. "Monetary Policy Transmission in India: A Peep Inside the Black Box," MPRA Paper 50903, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel C. Hickman & William W. Olney, 2010.
"Globalization and Investment in Human Capital,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2010-16, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tran Tri Dung & Quan Hoang Vuong, 2009. "A Note on Studies of Monetary Policy and Implementation in Vietnam," Working Papers CEB 09-024.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Rina Bhattacharya, 2013. "Inflation Dynamics and Monetary Policy Transmission in Vietnam and Emerging Asia," IMF Working Papers 13/155, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.