Trade Liberalization and Income Inequality in India: A Poisson Distributed-Lag Analysis
AbstractThis paper addresses the relationship between trade liberalization and income inequality among Indian states using a Poisson distributed-lag analysis. Two measures of income inequality are considered: the Gini coefficient and the coefficient of variation. Trade liberalization is proxied using export growth. Results indicate that there is a different pattern of responses in inequality to export growth between rural and urban households. Rural inequality tends to be more responsive in the hoped-for direction than urban inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 2002.
"Is India's economic growth leaving the poor behind?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2846, The World Bank.
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 2002. "Is India's Economic Growth Leaving the Poor Behind?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 89-108, Summer.
- Mundle, S. & Tulasidhar, V.B., 1998. "Adjustment and Distribution: The Indian Experience," Papers 17, Asian Development Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 2002. "Why has economic growth been more pro-poor in some states of India than others?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 381-400, August.
- Friedrich, Dieter, 1982. "A Dynamic Adjustment Equation for a Poisson Distributed Lag Model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3-4), pages 239-49.
- Frick, H, 1986. "A Note on a Dynamic Adjustment Equation for a Poisson Distributed Lag Model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 65-67.
- Kenneth Reinert, 1998. "Rural non-farm development: a trade-theoretic view," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 425-437.
- Prabhat Patnaik, 1997. "The context and consequences of economic liberalization in India," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 165-178.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.