Nominal Exchange Rates Adjustment and Long-Run Competitiveness in Less Developed Countries
AbstractThis empirical paper explores the important policy issue of whether or not LDCs can achieve a long-run real exchange rate devaluation through a nominal devaluation. For this purpose, tests for cointegration and the estimation of the long-run relationship between the real and nominal exchange rate is by a range of recently developed panel data techniques advocated by Pedroni. Using a panel of nineteen LDCs over the period 1973-2001, this study employs fully modified OLS and dynamic OLS to estimate a group-mean long-run elasticity between the nominal and real US dollar exchange rate of about one quarter. However, there is considerable variation across the sample of LDCs where the evidence indicates that the effectiveness of a nominal devaluation is inversely related to the domestic inflation rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2002.
"Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
13, Royal Economic Society.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity Tests In Cointegrated Panels,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 727-731, November.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity Tests in Cointegrated Panels," Department of Economics Working Papers 2001-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Pedroni PPP tests on panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00132, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- McNelis, Paul D., 1987. "Indexing, exchange rate policy and inflationary feedback effects in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 1107-1117, August.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1993. "Purchasing power parity based on effective exchange rate and cointegration: 25 LDCs' experience with its absolute formulation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1023-1031, June.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Miteza, Ilir, 2002. "Do nominal devaluations lead to real devaluations in LDCs?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 385-391, February.
- Donal J. Donovan, 1981. "Real Responses Associated with Exchange Rate Action in Selected Upper Credit Tranche Stabilization Programs (RÃ©sultats liÃ©s Ã une modification du taux de change dans le cadre de programmes de s," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(4), pages 698-727, December.
- McNown, Robert & S. Wallace, Myles, 1989. "National price levels, purchasing power parity, and cointegration: a test of four high inflation economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 533-545, December.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Connolly, Michael & Taylor, Dean, 1976. "Adjustment to devaluation with money and nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 289-298, August.
- Connolly, Michael B & Taylor, Dean G, 1979. "Exchange Rate Changes and Neutralization: A Test of the Monetary Approach Applied to Developed and Developing Countries," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(183), pages 281-94, August.
- Mahdavi, Saeid & Zhou, Su, 1994. "Purchasing power parity in high-inflation countries: further evidence," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 403-422.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alba, Joseph D. & Papell, David H., 1998. "Exchange rate determination and inflation in Southeast Asian countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 421-437, April.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1988. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 869R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 1989.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2002. "Does the Long-Run PPP Hypothesis Hold for Africa? Evidence from a Panel Cointegration Study," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 181-87, April.
- Rana, Pradumna B & Dowling, J Malcolm, Jr, 1985. "Inflationary Effects of Small but Continuous Changes in Effective Exchange Rates: Nine Asian LDCs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 496-500, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.