Critical Values And P Values Of Bessel Process Distributions: Computation And Application To Structural Break Tests
AbstractThe p values of structural break tests, when the break date or dates are unknown, must be calculated in terms of the probability distributions of functions of Bessel processes. The literature so far has maintained that direct computation of these p values and of the corresponding critical values is too difficult and has relied on approximations based on simulations, asymptotic expansions, or curve fitting. This paper presents a fast simple method of calculating exact p values and critical values and uses the method to evaluate the accuracy of the various approximations.The author is grateful for comments and suggestions from Don Andrews, Clint Cummins, Jeff Fuhrer, Ken Garbade, Jim Mahoney, Tony Rodrigues, Josh Rosenberg, Sebastian Schich, participants in a workshop at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, and the referees. The views expressed in this paper are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York or the Federal Reserve System.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jes�s Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2011.
"Regime-Specific Predictability in Predictive Regressions,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 30(2), pages 229-241, June.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2012. "Regime-specific predictability in predictive regressions," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/15931, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2010. "Regime specific predictability in predictive regressions," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0916, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2010. "Regime Specific Predictability in Predictive Regressions," MPRA Paper 29190, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Jean-Ives Pitarakis, 2010. "Regime specific predictability in predictive regressions," Economics Working Papers we097844, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, . "Regime specific predictability in predictive regressions," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5961, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2004.
"Common trends and cycles in I(2) VAR systems,"
Economics and Quantitative Methods
qf0217tris, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Dukpa Kim & Pierre Perron, 2006.
"Assessing the Relative Power of Structural Break Tests Using a Framework Based on the Approximate Bahadur Slope,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-063, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Kim, Dukpa & Perron, Pierre, 2009. "Assessing the relative power of structural break tests using a framework based on the approximate Bahadur slope," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 26-51, April.
- Omtzigt, Pieter & Paruolo, Paolo, 2005.
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 31-68, September.
- Heikki Kauppi, 2008. "Yield-Curve Based Probit Models for Forecasting U.S. Recessions: Stability and Dynamics," Discussion Papers 31, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Carlos Castro & Stijn Ferrari, 2011. "Measuring and testing for the systemically important financial institutions," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 008779, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Ng, Eric C.Y., 2012. "Forecasting US recessions with various risk factors and dynamic probit models," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-125.
- Arturo Estrella & Anthony P. Rodrigues, 2005. "One-sided test for an unknown breakpoint: theory, computation, and application to monetary theory," Staff Reports 232, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.