Measuring and testing for the systemically important financial institutions
AbstractThis paper analyses Delta CoVaR proposed by Adrian and Brunnermeier (2008) as a tool for identifying/ranking systemically important institutions and assessing interconnectedness. We develop a test of significance of Delta CoVaR that allows determining whether or not a financial institution can be classified as being systemically important on the basis of the estimated systemic risk contribution, as well as a test of dominance aimed at testing whether or not, according to Delta CoVaR, one financial institution is more systemically important than another. We provide two applications on a sample of 26 large European banks to show the importance of statistical testing when using Delta CoVaR, and more generally also other market-based systemic risk measures, in this context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Belgium in its series Working Paper Research with number 228.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: http://www.nbb.be
More information through EDIRC
Systemic risk; SIFIs; interconnectedness; quantile regression; stochastic dominance test;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-10-20 (Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2012-10-20 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- H. Dewachter & G. de Walque & M. Emiris & P. Ilbas & J. Mitchell & R. Wouters, 2012. "Endogenous financial risk : The seventh international conference of the NBB," Economic Review, National Bank of Belgium, issue III, pages 135-146, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.