Strategic Outsourcing between Rivals
AbstractBy outsourcing key intermediate goods to a downstream competitor, a firm can credibly reveals its future quantity of the final good to its competitor, therefore force the latter to act as a Stackelberg follower in the downstream market. As a result, whether outsourcing occurs or not depends on the nature of the downstream competition. If firms compete in quantities, outsourcing occurs only if it generates a sufficiently large efficiency gain. Instead, if firms compete in prices, outsourcing always occurs whenever there is potential efficiency gain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for AEF in its journal Annals of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Outsourcing; Cournot duopoly; Bertrand duopoly;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Yongmin & Ishikawa, Jota & Yu, Zhihao, 2004.
"Trade liberalization and strategic outsourcing,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 419-436, July.
- Yongmin Chen & Jota Ishikawa & Zhihao Yu, 2002. "Trade Liberalization and Strategic Outsourcing," Carleton Economic Papers 02-12, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2004.
- Chen, Yongmin & Ishikawa, Jota & Yu, Zhihao, 2001. "Trade Liberalization and Strategic Outsourcing," Discussion Papers 2001-04, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Stefan Buehler & Justus Haucap, 2003.
"Strategic Outsourcing Revisited,"
SOI - Working Papers
0305, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Buehler, Stefan & Haucap, Justus, 2006. "Strategic outsourcing revisited," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 325-338, November.
- Chen, Yutian & Dubey, Pradeep & Sen, Debapriya, 2009.
"Outsourcing induced by strategic competition,"
14899, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Yutian & Dubey, Pradeep & Sen, Debapriya, 2011. "Outsourcing induced by strategic competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 484-492, July.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000674, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 1589, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Saloner, Garth, 1986. "The role of obsolescence and inventory costs in providing commitment," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 333-345, September.
- Anil Arya & Brian Mittendorf & David E. M. Sappington, 2008. "The Make-or-Buy Decision in the Presence of a Rival: Strategic Outsourcing to a Common Supplier," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 54(10), pages 1747-1758, October.
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Strategic outsourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 203-224, February.
- Arya, Anil & Mittendorf, Brian & Sappington, David E.M., 2008. "Outsourcing, vertical integration, and price vs. quantity competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-16, January.
- D. Lee Heavner, 2004. "Vertical Enclosure: Vertical Integration and the Reluctance to Purchase from a Competitor," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 179-199, 06.
- Pio Baake & JÃ¶rg Oechssler & Christoph Schenk, 1999. "Explaining cross-supplies," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 37-60, February.
- Yossef Spiegel, 1993. "Horizontal Subcontracting," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 570-590, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.