Trade Liberalization and Strategic Outsourcing
AbstractThis paper develops a theory of strategic outsourcing that arises due to trade liberalization. With trade liberalization, a domestic firm may choose to purchase the intermediate good from a more efficient foreign producer, who also competes with the domestic firm in the final-good market. This can result in higher prices for both the intermediate and final goods. Although trade liberalization in the final product would lower the price of the final good, it could cause the price of the intermediate product to either increase or decrease, depending on the characteristics of the final products. Therefore, in the presence of strategic outsourcing, trade liberation can have ambiguous effects on consumer prices, depending on the relative tariff reductions for intermediate and final goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Papers with number 2001-04.
Length: 19,  p.
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McLaren, J., 1996.
"'Globalization' and Vertical Structure,"
1996_21, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2000.
"Endogenous Vertical Restraints in International Trade,"
dp00-04, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, revised Feb 2000.
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2005. "Endogenous vertical restraints in international trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1877-1889, October.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2000. "Endogenous Vertical Restraints in International Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 284, CESifo Group Munich.
- Krishna, Kala & Morgan, John, 1998.
"Implementing results-oriented trade policies: The case of the US-Japanese auto parts dispute,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1443-1467, September.
- Kala Krishna & John Morgan, 1996. "Implementing Results-Oriented Trade Policies: The Case of the US-Japanese Auto Parts Dispute," NBER Working Papers 5680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hwang, Hae-Shin & Schulman, Craig T., 1993. "Strategic non-intervention and the choice of trade policy for international oligopoly," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 73-93, February.
- Jota Ishikawa & Barbara J. Spencer, 1996.
"Rent-Shifting Export Subsidies with an Imported Intermediate Product,"
NBER Working Papers
5458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Spencer, Barbara J., 1999. "Rent-shifting export subsidies with an imported intermediate product," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 199-232, August.
- Zhao, Laixun, 2001. "Unionization, vertical markets, and the outsourcing of multinationals," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 187-202, October.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Lee, Ki-Dong, 1997. "Backfiring tariffs in vertically related markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 395-423, May.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0383, Econometric Society.
- Jones, R.W. & Spencer, B.J., 1989.
"Trade And Protection In Vertically Related Markets,"
RCER Working Papers
195, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Spencer, Barbara J. & Jones, Ronald W., 1992. "Trade and protection in vertically related markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 31-55, February.
- Barbara J. Spencer & Ronald W. Jones, 1989. "Trade and Protection in Vertically Related Markets," NBER Working Papers 3023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
5424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Koji Sakaguchi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.