The Welfare Enigma: Explaining the Dramatic Decline in Canadians' Use of Social Assistance, 1993-2005
AbstractWhat accounts for the truly remarkable drop in welfare dependency in Canada since the early 1990s? The authors provide a nationwide empirical analysis of the underlying factors, and draw implications for policymakers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by C.D. Howe Institute in its journal C.D. Howe Institute Commentary.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 267 (June)
social policy; Social Assistance (SA); Employment Insurance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- H53 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Welfare Programs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Grogger, 2002. "The Behavioral Effects of Welfare Time Limits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 385-389, May.
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Roberge, Hélène, 1998.
"The Dynamics of Welfare Participation in Québec,"
Cahiers de recherche
9817, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- William B.P. Robson & Finn Poschmann & Robin Banerjee & Colin Busby & Benjamin Dachis, 2008. "Steering Through Turbulence: The Shadow Federal Budget for 2008," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 111, February.
- Thomas Lemieux & Kevin Milligan, 2004.
"Incentive Effects of Social Assistance: A Regression Discontinuity Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
10541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lemieux, Thomas & Milligan, Kevin, 2008. "Incentive effects of social assistance: A regression discontinuity approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 807-828, February.
- Lemieux, Thomas Milligan, Kevin, 2006. "Incentive Effects of Social Assistance: A Regression Discontinuity Approach," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2006280e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Christofides, L.N. & Stengos, T. & Swidinsky, R., 1996.
"Welfare Participation and Labour Market Behaviour in Canada,"
1996-6, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Louis N. Christofides & Thanasis Stengos & Robert Swidinsky, 1997. "Welfare Participation and Labour Market Behaviour in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 595-621, August.
- Gunderson, Morley & Melino, Angelo, 1990. "The Effects of Public Policy on Strike Duration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(3), pages 295-316, July.
- Pierre Fortin & Pierre-Yves Cremieux, 1998. "The Determinants Of Social Assistance Rates: Evidence From A Panel Of Canadian Provinces, 1997-1996," Travaux en cours CREFE / CREFE Work in progress 2, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Colin Busby & William Robson, 2013. "Canada's 2012 Fiscal Accountability Rankings," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 373, February.
- Ross Finnie & David Gray & Yan Zhang, 2013. "Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) Status Amongst the Retired Population: An Analysis of the Incidence," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 39(s1), pages 65-80, May.
- Arthur J. Cockfield, 2008. "Finding Silver Linings in the Storm: An Evaluation of Recent Canada-US Crossborder Developments," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 272, September.
- Nathan Berg & Todd Gabel, 2013. "Effects of New Welfare Reform Strategies on Welfare Participation: Microdata Estimates from Canada," Working Papers 1304, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.