Welfare Dynamics in Canada: The Role of Individual Attributes and Economic-policy Variables
AbstractIn this paper, Canadian longitudinal tax-based data are used to estimate models of the receipt of social assistance, or welfare, in a given year as well as the underlying dynamics: entry onto social assistance from one year to another, exit from a given spell of social assistance and re-entry onto social assistance after the end of a previous spell.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch in its series Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series with number 2004231e.
Date of creation: 25 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Employment insurance; social assistance and other transfers; Household; family and personal income; Income; pensions; spending and wealth; Labour; Low income and inequality;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebecca M. Blank, 2002.
"Evaluating Welfare Reform in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
8983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross Finnie & Arthur Sweetman, 2003. "Poverty dynamics: empirical evidence for Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(2), pages 291-325, May.
- Michael Charette & Ronald Meng, 1994. "The Determinants of Welfare Participation of Female Heads of Household in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 290-306, May.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Roberge, Hélène, 1998.
"The Dynamics of Welfare Participation in Québec,"
Cahiers de recherche
9817, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Lindbeck, Assar, 1995. "Hazardous Welfare-State Dynamics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 9-15, May.
- Jennifer Stewart & Martin D. Dooley, 1999.
"The Duration of Spells on Welfare and Off Welfare Among Lone Mothers in Ontario,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 25(s1), pages 47-72, November.
- Jennifer Stewart & Martin Dooley, . "The Duration of Spells on Welfare and Off-welfare among Lone Mothers in Ontario," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 21, McMaster University.
- Charles Beach & Ross Finnie, 2004.
"A longitudinal analysis of earnings change in Canada,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 219-240, February.
- Finnie, Ross & Beach, Charles M., 2004. "A Longitudinal Analysis of Earnings Change in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2004227e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Robert Moffitt, 2002.
"Welfare Programs and Labor Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
9168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christofides, L.N. & Stengos, T. & Swidinsky, R., 1996.
"Welfare Participation and Labour Market Behaviour in Canada,"
1996-6, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Louis N. Christofides & Thanasis Stengos & Robert Swidinsky, 1997. "Welfare Participation and Labour Market Behaviour in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 595-621, August.
- Lars Osberg, 2000. "Poverty in Canada and the United States: measurement, trends, and implications," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 847-877, November.
- Gunderson, Morley & Melino, Angelo, 1990. "The Effects of Public Policy on Strike Duration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(3), pages 295-316, July.
- Garry F. Barrett & Michael I. Cragg, 1998. "An Untold Story: The Characteristics of Welfare Use in British Columbia," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 165-188, February.
- John C. Ham & Samuel Rea, 1986.
"Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada,"
592, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- Barrett, Garry F., 2000. "The effect of educational attainment on welfare dependence: Evidence from Canada," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 209-232, August.
- Mary Jo Bane & David T. Ellwood, 1986. "Slipping into and out of Poverty: The Dynamics of Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(1), pages 1-23.
- Berg, Nathan & Gabel, Todd, 2010.
"New Reform Strategies and Welfare Participation in Canada,"
26591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nathan Berg & Todd Gabel, 2014. "New Reform Strategies and Welfare Participation in Canada," Working Papers 1402, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2014.
- Habibov, Nazim N. & Fan, Lida, 2010. "Comparing and contrasting poverty reduction performance of social welfare programs across jurisdictions in Canada using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA): An exploratory study of the era of devolution," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 457-467, November.
- Nathan Berg & Todd Gabel, 2013. "Effects of New Welfare Reform Strategies on Welfare Participation: Microdata Estimates from Canada," Working Papers 1304, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.