Intra-distribution dynamics of regional per-capita income in Europe: evidence from alternative conditional density estimators
AbstractIn this paper different conditional density estimators are employed to analyze the cross-sectional distribution dynamics of regional per-capita income in Europe during the period 1980-2002. First, a kernel estimator with fixed bandwidth (the method traditionally 20 R. Basile applied in the literature on intra-distribution dynamics) gives evidence of convergence. With a modified estimator, proposed by Hyndman et al. (1996), with variable bandwidth and mean-bias correction, the dominant income dynamics is that of persistence and lack of cohesion: only a fraction of very poor regions improves its position over time converging towards a low relative income (“poverty trap”). Moreover, an alternative graphical technique (more informative than the traditional contour plot) is applied to visualize conditional densities.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Statistics, University of Bologna in its journal STATISTICA.
Volume (Year): 70 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Basile, 2007. "Intra-distribution dynamics of regional per-capita income in Europe: evidence from alternative conditional density estimators," ISAE Working Papers 75, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fingleton, Bernard, 1997. "Specification and Testing of Markov Chain Models: An Application to Convergence in the European Union," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(3), pages 385-403, August.
- Hall, Peter & Wolff, Rodney C. L. & Yao, Qiwei, 1999. "Methods for estimating a conditional distribution function," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Fan, Jianqing & Yao, Qiwei & Tong, Howell, 1996. "Estimation of conditional densities and sensitivity measures in nonlinear dynamical systems," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Quah, Danny, 1993.
" Galton's Fallacy and Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 427-43, December.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Galton's Fallacy and Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," CEPR Discussion Papers 820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- Bashtannyk, D.M. & Hyndman, R.J., 1998.
"Bandwidth Selection for Kernel Conditional Density Estimation,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
16/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Bashtannyk, David M. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2001. "Bandwidth selection for kernel conditional density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 279-298, May.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Danny Quah, 1996. "Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0280, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996.
"Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1045-55, July.
- Quah, Danny, 1996. "Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 1355, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrique Lopez Bazo & Esther Vaya Valcarce & Antonio Jose Mora & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Regional economic dynamics and convergence in the european union," Working Papers in Economics 12, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Ana Lamo, 2000. "On convergence empirics: same evidence for Spanish regions," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(3), pages 681-707, September.
- Hyndman, R.J. & Yao, Q., 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation and Symmetry Tests for Conditional Density Functions," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 17/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Quah, Danny, 2001. "Searching for prosperity a comment," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 305-319, December.
- Roberto Basile, 2007. "Productivity polarization across regions in Europe," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 31/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Liontakis, Angelos E. & Papadas, Christos T., 2009. "Distribution Dynamics of Food Price Inflation Rates in EU: An Alternative Conditional Density Estimator Approach," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece 58084, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Serge Rey & Florent Deisting, 2012. "GDP per Capita among African Countries over the Period 1950–2008: Highlights of Convergence Clubs," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(4), pages 2779-2800.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michele Costa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.