East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth
AbstractTwo presumptions appear to underlie recent proposals for East Asian economic integration. The first is that economic integration is a good way to promote economic growth. The second is that preferential trade agreements (PTAs), particularly ones that go beyond goods trade, are an effective way to promote economic integration. Both these presumptions are empirical questions. In this paper, a partial evaluation of the evidence suggests caution. Even a broadranging PTA may do little to remove the important impediments to growth in the region. Far greater income gains would come from comprehensive reform of non-discriminatory impediments to competition, as part of a thorough-going programme of unilateral domestic regulatory reform. It may be time to rethink East Asian economic integration as a policy priority, or at least review the way in which it might be pursued. Copyright 2006 The Author Journal compilation 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal World Economy.
Volume (Year): 30 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920
Other versions of this item:
- Philippa Dee, 2005. "East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 350, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Philippa Dee, 2005. "East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 21988, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro & Clark, Ximena, 2002. "Maritime transport costs and port efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2781, The World Bank.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2005.
"ASEAN Monetary Cooperation: Issues and Prospects,"
Asia Pacific Economic Papers
349, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire, 2005.
"Trade Policy At The Crossroads – The Indonesian Story,"
UNCTAD Blue Series Papers
28, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire & Prabowo, 2005. "Trade Policy at the Crossroads: The Indonesian Story," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 347, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire & Prabowo, 2005. "Trade Policy at the Crossroads - The Indonesian Story," Trade Working Papers 22037, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, 2012. "Transactions: A New Look at Services Sector Foreign Direct Investment in Asia," Working Paper Series WP12-16, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Peter DRYSDALE & Shiro ARMSTRONG, 2010.
"International and Regional Cooperation: Asia's Role and Responsibilities,"
Asian Economic Policy Review,
Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 5(2), pages 157-173, December.
- Peter Drysdale & Shiro Armstrong, 2010. "International and Regional Cooperation : Asia's Role and Responsibilities," EABER Working Papers 22763, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2006. "Service Trade Liberalization as a Handmaiden of Competitiveness in Manufacturing: An Industrialized or Developing Country Issue?," Kiel Working Papers 1293, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jane Korinek & Mark Melatos, 2009. "Trade Impacts of Selected Regional Trade Agreements in Agriculture," OECD Trade Policy Papers 87, OECD Publishing.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2010.
"Sequencing regionalism: Theory, European practice, and lessons for Asia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2011. "Sequencing Regionalism: Theory, European Practice, and Lessons for Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 80, Asian Development Bank.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2007.
"Sectoral Distortions and Service Protection in Russia. A Comparison with Benchmark Emerging Markets and EU Accession Candidates,"
Kiel Working Papers
1385, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2008. "Sectoral Distortions and Service Protection in Russia: A Comparison with Benchmark Emerging Markets and EU Accession Candidates," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(6), pages 70-83, November.
- Shiro Armstrong, 2010. "Taiwan's Asia Pacific Economic Strategies Post-ECFA," EABER Working Papers 22810, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- repec:idb:brikps:47578 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hiro Lee & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2007. "Regional Integration, Sectoral Adjustments and Natural Groupings in East Asia," OSIPP Discussion Paper 07E008, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Hiro Lee & Robert F. Owen & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2008. "Regional Integration in Asia and Its Effects on the EU and North America," OSIPP Discussion Paper 08E012, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Philippa Dee, 2008. "The role of microeconomic policy reform in regional integration Ã¢â‚¬â€ analytical and empirical issues," EABER Working Papers 21793, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lee, Hiro & Owen, Robert F. & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2009. "Regional integration in Asia and its effects on the EU and North America," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 240-254, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.