Growing Trade in Intermediate Goods: Outsourcing, Global Sourcing, or Increasing Importance of MNE Networks?
AbstractGrowth in trade is often seen to have played a dominant role in integrating national economies. Analyses of this role have, however, almost exclusively been based on trade in final goods. This paper attempts to address this problem by analyzing recent growth in intermediate goods. Three possible causes are posited for this growth: outsourcing, global sourcing, and the increasing importance of MNE networks. These are examined in two analytical frameworks: one using OECD input-output table data and one using German time-series data. Results from both frameworks give strong support to the hypothesis that international production plays a great role in explaining the strong increase in intermediate inputs imports of developed countries. The evidence for the hypothesis that the increasing importance of the MNE network causes the growing trade in intermediate goods is especially strong. The outsourcing hypothesis receives also some support. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
Other versions of this item:
- Jörn Kleinert, 2000. "Growing Trade in Intermediate Goods: Outsourcing, Global Sourcing or Increasing Importance of MNE Networks?," Kiel Working Papers 1006, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörn Kleinert, 1999. "Temporal Clusters in Foreign Direct Investment," Kiel Working Papers 930, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Papers 95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Department of Economics 95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- David Hummels & Dana Rapoport & Kei-Mu Yi, 1998. "Vertical specialization and the changing nature of world trade," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 79-99.
- Ray Barrell, 1999. "Manufactures Import Demand: Structural Differences in the European Union," NIESR Discussion Papers 196, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Andersson, Thomas & Fredriksson, Torbjorn, 2000. "Distinction between intermediate and finished products in intra-firm trade," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 773-792, July.
- Markus Diehl, 1999. "The Impact of International Outsourcing on the Skill Structure of Employment: Empirical Evidence from German Manufacturing Industries," Kiel Working Papers 946, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Dunlevy, James A. & Hutchinson, William K., 2001. "The Pro-Trade Effect of Immigration on American Exports During the Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Centuries," IZA Discussion Papers 375, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Rauch, James E., 1999.
"Networks versus markets in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-35, June.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1996. "What's the Use of Factor Contents?," NBER Working Papers 5448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1997. "The Evolving External Orientation of Manufacturing Industries: Evidence from Four Countries," NBER Working Papers 5919, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hubert Strauß, 2001. "Euroland's Trade with Third Countries: An Estimation Based on NIPA Data," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(3), pages 434-449.
- Guillaume Daudin & Christine Rifflart & Danielle Schweisguth, 2008. "Value-Added Trade and Regionalization. GTAP Eleventh Annual Conference 'Future of Global Economy', Helsinki, Finland," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9541, Sciences Po.
- Seref Saygili & Cengiz Cihan & Cihan Yalcin & Turknur Hamsici, 2010. "Turkiye Imalat Sanayiin Ithalat Yapisi," Working Papers 1002, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Torben Andersen & Allan Sørensen, 2011.
"Globalisation squeezes the public sector—is it so obvious?,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 369-382, August.
- Torben M. Andersen & Allan Sørensen, 2008. "Globalisation squeezes the public sector - is it so obvious?," Economics Working Papers 2008-08, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Vincent FRIGANT, 2013. "Une comparaison de l’internationalisation des chaînes d’approvisionnement automobiles allemande et française," Cahiers du GREThA 2013-09, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Thomas M. Steger & Lucas Bretschger, 2005.
"Globalization, the volatility of intermediate goods prices and economic growth,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
05/40, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Steger, Thomas, 2013. "Globalization, The Volatility Of Intermediate Goods Prices, And Economic Growth," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 402-430, March.
- Luiz de Mello & Pier Carlo Padoan & Linda Rousová, 2012.
"Are Global Imbalances Sustainable? Shedding Further Light on the Causes of Current Account Reversals,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 489-516, 08.
- Luiz de Mello & Pier Carlo Padoan & Linda Rousová, 2010. "Are Global Imbalances Sustainable?: Shedding Further Light on the Causes of Current Account Reversals," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 813, OECD Publishing.
- Vincent FRIGANT (GREThA), 2007. "Between Internationalisation and Proximity: the internationalisation process of automotive first tier suppliers," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Marina Murat & Sergio Paba, 2005. "I distretti industriali tra immigrazione e internazionalizzazione produttiva," Department of Economics 0517, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Guillaume Daudin & Paola Veroni & Christine Rifflart & Danielle Schweisguth, 2006.
"Le commerce extérieur en valeur ajoutée,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/2537, Sciences Po.
- Hazel Parcon, 2008. "Disaggregating PTAs at the Role of International Division of Labor on PTA Formation," Working Papers 200806, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Michael Hübler, 2007. "A Simple Model of Outsourcing with Cournot Competition," Kiel Working Papers 1320, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2004. "The German automobile industry and Central Europe's integration into the international division of labour : foreign production, intra-industry trade, and labour market repercussions," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 4318, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/9541 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2009. "South-North Integration, Outsourcing and Skills," wiiw Research Reports 353, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Fernanda Ricotta, 2009. "Trade In Intermediate Goods In Italian Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 200915, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Witada Anukoonwattaka, 2007. "Outsourcing and International Production of a Multinational: A Theoretical Model and Empirical Evidence from Toyota, Thailand," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_045, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2537 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jörn Kleinert, 2001. "The Role of Multinational Enterprises in Globalization: An Empirical Overview," Kiel Working Papers 1069, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marzinotto, Benedicta, 2009. "Beyond monetary credibility: The impact of globalisation on the output-inflation trade-off in euro-area countries," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 162-176, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.