The Quality of Industrial Relations and Labour Market Performance
AbstractUsing data from 19 industrial countries for the period 1985-2002, this paper analyses whether the quality of industrial relations affects unemployment and employment rates. To measure the quality of industrial relations, we use the results of surveys in which senior business executives characterized the industrial relations of their countries. Controlling for the impact of major labour market institutions, the business cycle, the level of economic development, unobserved country effects, as well as endogeneity, we find that cooperative industrial relations are likely to lower unemployment and to increase employment. The effects appear to be large, particularly among young people. Copyright 2006 The Author; Journal compilation 2006 CEIS, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini and Blackwell Publishing Ltd..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEIS in its journal LABOUR.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma
Phone: 0039 06 2040234
Fax: 0039 06 2020687
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1121-7081
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Horst Feldmann, 2009.
"The quality of the legal system and labor market performance around the world,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 39-65, August.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2009. "The Quality of the Legal System and Labor Market Performance around the World," Department of Economics Working Papers 15966, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Simon STURN, 2013. "Are corporatist labour markets different? Labour market regimes and unemployment in OECD countries," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 152(2), pages 237-254, 06.
- Simon Sturn, 2011. "Labour market regimes and unemployment in OECD countries," IMK Working Paper 6-2011, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Horst Feldmann, 2008. "Business regulation and labor market performance around the world," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 201-235, April.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2008. "The quality of industrial relations and unemployment around the world," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 200-203, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.