What Drives Economic Growth? The Case of Cross-Border M&A and Greenfield FDI Activities
AbstractThe effect of aggregate foreign direct investment (FDI) on economic growth remains uncertain in the literature. We revisit this FDI-Growth relation by analyzing the components of FDI - greenfield investment and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&As). Our analysis contributes to the existing literature by focusing on potentially heterogeneous growth effects of different FDI entry modes. Using a sample of 84 countries from 1987 to 2001, we separately examine the growth effects of greenfield investment and M&As. We find that greenfield investment and M&As have different impacts on economic growth. Greenfield investment promotes economic growth while M&As can be beneficial only when the host country has an adequate level of human capital. Our results provide support for receiving M&As when policymakers allocate more resources for human capital accumulation. Copyright 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2006.
"Quality of Foreign Direct Investment, Knowledge Spillovers and Host Country Productivity: A Framework of Analysis,"
12336, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2006. "Quality of Foreign Direct Investment, Knowledge Spillovers and Host Country Productivity: A Framework of Analysis," Working Papers 0611, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Juraj Stančík, 2009. "FDI spillovers in the Czech Republic: takeovers vs. greenfields," European Economy - Economic Papers 369, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Martin Falk, 2013. "New empirical findings for international investment in intangible assets," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 30, WWWforEurope.
- Bode, Eckhardt & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2010.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Regional Development in Developed Countries? A Markov Chain Approach for US States,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
40022, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2011. "Does foreign direct investment promote regional development in developed countries? A Markov chain approach for US states," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 147(2), pages 351-383, June.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2007. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Regional Development in Developed Countries? A Markov Chain Approach for US States," Kiel Working Papers 1374, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- repec:wsr:ecbook:2010:i:iv-002 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gould, David M. & Tan, Congyan & Emamgholi, Amir S. Sadeghi, 2013. "Attracting foreign direct investment : what can South Asia's lack of success teach other developing countries ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6696, The World Bank.
- JUDE, Cristina & LEVIEUGE, Gregory, 2013. "Growth effect of FDI in developing economies: The role of institutional quality," MPRA Paper 49321, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bogach, Olga & Noy, Ilan, 2012.
"Fire-Sale FDI? The impact of financial crises on foreign direct investment,"
Working Paper Series
2089, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Olga Bogach & Ilan Noy, 2012. "Fire-Sale FDI? The Impact of Financial Crisis on Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 201205, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Burger, Martijn J. & Ianchovichina, Elena I., 2014. "Surges and stops in FDI flows to developing countries : does the mode of entry make a difference ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6771, The World Bank.
- Quan Hoang Vuong & Tran Tri Dung & Thi Chau Ha NguyenN, 2009. "Mergers and Acquisitions in Vietnam’s Emerging Market Economy, 1990-2009," Working Papers CEB 09-045.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Martin Falk, 2012. "Determinants of Greenfield Investment in Knowledge Intensive Business Services," FIW Research Reports series IV-002, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.