Long-Run Performance following Private Placements of Equity
AbstractPublic firms that place equity privately experience positive announcements effects, with negative post-announcement stock-price performance. This finding is inconsistent with the underreaction hypothesis. Instead, it suggests that investors are overoptimistic about the prospects of firms issuing equity, regardless of the method of issuance. Further, in contrast to public offerings, private issues follow periods of relatively poor operating performance. Thus, investor overoptimism at the time of private issues is not due to the behavioral tendency to overweight recent experience at the expense of long-term averages. Copyright The American Finance Association 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 57 (2002)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bengtsson, Ola & Dai, Na, 2013. "Financial Contracts in PIPE Offerings: The Role of Expert Placement Agents," Knut Wicksell Working Paper Series 2013/7, Knut Wicksell Centre for Financial Studies, Lund University.
- Otavio Ribeiro De Medeiros & Alberto Shigueru Matsumoto, 2004. "Market Reaction and Volatility in the Brazilian Stock Market," Finance 0412020, EconWPA.
- Sara B. Moeller & Frederik P. Schlingemann & Rene M. Stulz, 2003. "Do shareholders of acquiring firms gain from acquisitions?," NBER Working Papers 9523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Almazan, Andres & Suarez, Javier & Titman, Sheridan, 2004.
"Stakeholders, Transparency and Capital Structure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Suarez & Andres Almazan & Sheridan Titman, 2004. "Stakeholders, Transparency And Capital Structure," Working Papers wp2004_0401, CEMFI.
- Andres Almazan & Javier Suarez & Sheridan Titman, 2003. "Stakeholder, Transparency and Capital Structure," NBER Working Papers 10101, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Stephan Smith & Jean-Marc Suret, 2007. "Risk, Timing and Overoptimism in Private Placements and Public Offerings," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-27, CIRANO.
- Eckbo, B Espen & Norli, Øyvind, 2005.
"The Choice of Seasoned-Equity Selling Mechanism: Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Norli, Øyvind, 2004. "The choice of seasoned-equity selling mechanism: Theory and evidence," Discussion Papers 2004/17, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Dahiya, Sandeep & Klapper, Leora & Parthasarathy, Harini & Singer, Dorothe, 2013. "The role of private equity investments in public firms : international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6484, The World Bank.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006.
"Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth,"
2006-007, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Hoechle, Daniel & Schmid, Markus & Zimmermann, Heinz, 2012. "Measuring Long-term Performance: a Regression Based Generalization of the Calendar Time Portfolio Approach," Working Papers on Finance 1216, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Hertzel, Michael G. & Huson, Mark R. & Parrino, Robert, 2012. "Public market staging: The timing of capital infusions in newly public firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 72-90.
- Henk Berkman & Michael McKenzie & Patrick Verwijmeren, 2013. "Hole in the Wall: Informed Short Selling ahead of Private Placements," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-153/IV/62, Tinbergen Institute.
- Brown, James R. & Floros, Ioannis V., 2012. "Access to private equity and real firm activity: Evidence from PIPEs," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 151-165.
- Tomáš Buus, 2008. "Performance of Quoted and Non-quoted Companies in the Europe," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 45-69.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2004. "Le placement privé dans les sociétés ouvertes : dimensions réglementaires, économiques et financières," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-46, CIRANO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.