The Private Company Discount
AbstractWhen appraisers or investment bankers value privately held companies by making comparisons to otherwise similar public companies, they typically apply a discount. Most practitioners attribute this discount mainly to the relative illiquidity of private companies; and, for this reason, they value private companies based on empirical studies designed to measure illiquidity discounts. But this assumption and the valuations based upon it are likely to be unreliable because private companies are valued differently than public companies owing to a variety of other, more "fundamental" factors that have caused the firm to stay private rather than choosing to list on an exchange. 2000 Morgan Stanley.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Morgan Stanley in its journal Journal of Applied Corporate Finance.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1078-1196
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert L. Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M. Guest & Alan Hughes, 2005.
"The Impact on UK Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 815-870.
- Robert L Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M Guest & Alan Hughes, 2003. "The Impact on U.K. Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp276, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Higgins, Matthew J. & Rodriguez, Daniel, 2006.
"The outsourcing of R&D through acquisitions in the pharmaceutical industry,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 351-383, May.
- Matthew Higgins & Daniel Rodriguez, 2003. "The Outsourcing of R&D through Acquisitions in the Pharmaceutical Industry," Emory Economics 0324, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Loderer, Claudio & Roth, Lukas, 2005. "The pricing discount for limited liquidity: evidence from SWX Swiss Exchange and the Nasdaq," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 239-268, March.
- Wiktor Patena, 2011. "Company Valuation. How to Deal with a Range of Values?," "e-Finanse", University of Information Technology and Management, Institute of Financial Research and Analysis, vol. 7(3), pages 75-84, November.
- Tomas Mantecon & Paul Thistle, 2011. "The IPO market as a screening device and the going public decision: evidence from acquisitions of privately and publicly held firms," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 325-361, October.
- Chen, Zhian & Tan, Jianzhong, 2011. "Does bancassurance add value for banks? - Evidence from mergers and acquisitions between European banks and insurance companies," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 104-112, January.
- Pereiro, Luis E., 2006. "The practice of investment valuation in emerging markets: Evidence from Argentina," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 160-183, April.
- Ninon Kohers, 2004. "Acquisitions of private targets: the unique shareholder wealth implications," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(16), pages 1151-1165.
- Gavious, Ilanit & Parmet, Yisrael, 2010. "Do private firm valuations contain incremental information content over routine analyst valuations?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 223-234, June.
- Brau, James C. & Sutton, Ninon K. & Hatch, Nile W., 2010. "Dual-track versus single-track sell-outs: An empirical analysis of competing harvest strategies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 389-402, July.
- Bayar, Onur & Chemmanur, Thomas J., 2012. "What drives the valuation premium in IPOs versus acquisitions? An empirical analysis," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 451-475.
- Barbora Rýdlová, 2006. "Lack of Marketability Discount – Analysis of Empirical Studies," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(1), pages 118-134.
- Jory, Surendranath R. & Madura, Jeff, 2009. "Acquisitions of bankrupt assets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 748-759, August.
- Madura, Jeff & Susnjara, Jurica, 2013. "The appeal of private targets in international acquisitions," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 198-222.
- Bae, Sung C. & Chang, Kiyoung & Kim, Doseong, 2013. "Determinants of target selection and acquirer returns: Evidence from cross-border acquisitions," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 552-565.
- Pereiro, Luis E., 2001. "The valuation of closely-held companies in Latin America," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 330-370, December.
- Benninga, Simon & Helmantel, Mark & Sarig, Oded, 2005. "The timing of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 115-132, January.
- Tong, Wilson H.S. & Yu, Wayne W., 2012. "A corporate governance explanation of the A-B share discount in China," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 125-147.
- AlekneviÄienÄ—, Vilija & StonÄiuvienÄ—, Neringa & ZinkeviÄienÄ—, DanutÄ—, 2013. "Determination of the fair value of a multifunctional family farm: a case study," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, vol. 115(3), December.
- Aharon, David Y. & Gavious, Ilanit & Yosef, Rami, 2010. "Stock market bubble effects on mergers and acquisitions," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 456-470, November.
- Elnathan, Dan & Gavious, Ilanit & Hauser, Shmuel, 2010. "An analysis of private versus public firm valuations and the contribution of financial experts," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 387-412, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.