Disaggregate Evidence On Price Stickiness And Implications For Macro Models
Abstract"We use the methodology applied at the aggregate level by Gali and Gertler (1999) to analyze price and cost data for U.S. six-digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) industries. Industries with price adjustment periods of at least 6 quarters generate no more than about 43% of total sales of industries we analyze. Industries with estimated price adjustment speeds of less than a year generate at least 44% of sales. Our conclusion is that disaggregate U.S. data provide as much support in favor of relatively high price flexibility as they do for the assumption of widespread price stickiness utilized in many modern macroeconomic theories. "("JEL "E31, L16) Copyright (c) 2007 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 46 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0095-2583
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 2002.
"The Need for International Policy Coordination: What's Old, What's New, What's Yet to Come?,"
NBER Working Papers
8765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Cumby, Robert E. & Diba, Behzad T., 2005. "The need for international policy coordination: what's old, what's new, what's yet to come?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 363-384, July.
- John M. Roberts, 2001.
"How well does the New Keynesian sticky-price model fit the data?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-13, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roberts John M., 2005. "How Well Does the New Keynesian Sticky-Price Model Fit the Data?," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-39, September.
- Andrew C. Caplin & Daniel F. Spulber, 1987.
"Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David D. VanHoose, 2004. "The New Open Economy Macroeconomics: A Critical Appraisal," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 193-215, 04.
- Cara S. Lown & Robert W. Rich, 1997.
"Is there an inflation puzzle?,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 51-77.
- Pedro Duarte Neves & Mónica Dias & Daniel Dias, 2004.
"Stylised Features of Price Setting Behaviour in Portugal: 1992-2001,"
w200405, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Dias, Mónica & Dias, Daniel & Neves, Pedro D., 2004. "Stylised features of price setting behaviour in Portugal: 1992-2001," Working Paper Series 0332, European Central Bank.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G., 1986. "The frequency of price adjustment : A study of the newsstand prices of magazines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 255-274, April.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1987.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1991.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 89-96, May.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1991. "Why are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study," NBER Working Papers 3646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1991.
"A Quick Refresher Course in Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
3256, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bergin, Paul R., 2003. "Putting the 'New Open Economy Macroeconomics' to a test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 3-34, May.
- Duca, John V & VanHoose, David D, 1991. "Optimal Wage Indexation in a Multisector Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 859-67, November.
- Duca, John V, 1987. "The Spillover Effects of Nominal Wage Rigidity in a Multisector Economy: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(1), pages 117-21, February.
- Gwin, Carl R. & VanHoose, David D., 2008. "Alternative measures of marginal cost and inflation in estimations of new Keynesian inflation dynamics," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 928-940, September.
- Waller, Christopher J, 1992. "The Choice of a Conservative Central Banker in a Multisector Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1006-12, September.
- Davis, Michael C & Hamilton, James D, 2004.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? The Dynamics of Wholesale Gasoline Prices,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 17-37, February.
- Michael C. Davis & James D. Hamilton, 2003. "Why Are Prices Sticky? The Dynamics of Wholesale Gasoline Prices," NBER Working Papers 9741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Kollmann, 2005.
"Macroeconomic effects of nominal exchange rate regimes: new insights into the role of price dynamics,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7624, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2005. "Macroeconomic effects of nominal exchange rate regimes: new insights into the role of price dynamics," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 275-292, March.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2004. "Macroeconomic Effects of Nominal Exchange Rate Regimes: New Insights into the Role of Price Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 4487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:fth:harver:1470 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kandil, Magda, 1994. "Price Flexibility and Aggregate Stability: New Evidence and Implications," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(2), pages 272-89, April.
- Luis J. �lvarez & Pablo Burriel & Ignacio Hernando, 2010.
"Price-setting behaviour in Spain: evidence from micro PPI data,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(2-3), pages 105-121.
- Álvarez, Luis J. & Burriel, Pablo & Hernando, Ignacio, 2005. "Price setting behaviour in Spain: evidence from micro PPI data," Working Paper Series 0522, European Central Bank.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Pablo Burriel & Ignacio Hernando, 2005. "Price setting behaviour in Spain: evidence from micro PPI data," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0527, Banco de Espa�a.
- McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2003. "New Keynesian Phillips Curves: a reassessment using euro-area data," Working Paper Series 0265, European Central Bank.
- Alexander L. Wolman, 1999. "Sticky prices, marginal cost, and the behavior of inflation," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 29-48.
- Roberts, John M & Stockton, David J & Struckmeyer, Charles S, 1994. "Evidence on the Flexibility of Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 142-50, February.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H., 1996. "Macroeconomic price stickiness: Evidence from the postwar United States," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 427-442, December.
- Alfred V. Guender & Yu Xie, 2006.
"Is There an Exchange Rate Channel in the Forward-Looking Phillips Curve? A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation,"
Working Papers in Economics
06/16, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Alfred Guender & Yu Xie, 2007. "Is there an exchange rate channel in the forward-looking Phillips curve? A theoretical and empirical investigation," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 5-28.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.