Is The Market Failing Agricultural Producers Who Wish To Manage Risks?
AbstractThe variability of producers 'net income levels is largely a function of variability in output price, yield, and input prices. Yet, the tools available to manage price risk and yield risk are not widely used by producers. Is the market failing to provide agricultural producers with effective risk management tools? To identify producers' needs, the paper establishes the relative importance of price and yield risk by decomposing the variability of revenues from a sample of crops in California agriculture. The risk tools available to producers of those commodities are compared to producers needs for tools. Results indicate that "market failure" is readily apparent in markets for tools to manage risks. However, the nature of these missing or incomplete markets does not necessarily imply inefficiencies that would justify government intervention. Copyright 1997 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Contemporary Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 15 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1074-3529
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Zuppiroli, Marco, 0.
"Commodity futures markets: are they an effective price risk management tool for the European wheat supply chain?,"
Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal,
Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 3.
- Revoredo-Giha, C. & Zuppiroli, M., 2013. "Commodity futures markets: are they an effective price risk management tool for the European wheat supply chain ?," 2013 Second Congress, June 6-7, 2013, Parma, Italy 149773, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Zuppiroli, Marco, 2012.
"Effectiveness of hedging within the high price volatility context,"
142546, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Zuppiroli, Marco, 2012. "Effectiveness of hedging within the high price volatility context," Working Papers 142546, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Leat, Philip M.K., 2008.
"Collaborative Supply Chain Initiatives as Devices to Cope with Income Variability in the Scottish Red Meat Sector,"
108th Seminar, February 8-9, 2008, Warsaw, Poland
48110, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Leat, Philip M.K., 2008. "Collaborative supply chain initiatives as devices to cope with income variability in the Scottish red meat sector," Working Papers 61105, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Leat, Philip M.K., 2008. "Collaborative supply chain initiatives as devices to cope with income variability in the Scottish red meat sector," Working Papers 61105, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Tadesse, Dawit & Blank, Steven C., 2003. "Cultivar Diversity: A Neglected Risk Management Strategy," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Chambers, Robert G., 2006. "Some Empirical Implications of State-Contingent Production Models," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 137789, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner & C. Vaillant, 1999. "Agricultural futures markets in LDCs: a policy response to price volatility?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 893-910.
- Jennifer Ifft, 2009. "Government vs Weather The True Story of Crop Insurance in India," Working Papers id:2268, eSocialSciences.
- Carter, Colin A., 1999. "Commodity futures markets: a survey," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(2).
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2007. "Efficiency of selected risk management instruments: An empirical analysis of risk reduction in Kazakhstani crop production," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 40, number 92323.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.