The Road is Long: Thirty Years of Equality Legislation in Britain
AbstractThis article critically reflects upon the development of British employment equality law, tracking a positive yet hesitant, uneven and incomplete trajectory from anti-discrimination towards equality, and from piecemeal and patchwork coverage towards inclusiveness, integration and intersectionality. It argues that the opportunities provided by the new Commission for Equality and Human Rights and the proposed Single Equality Act should be taken to address remaining weaknesses in the legislative equality package and the limitations in enforcement approaches which the article highlights. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd/London School of Economics 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics in its journal British Journal of Industrial Relations.
Volume (Year): 45 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0007-1080
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marie Drolet & Karen Mumford, 2012.
"The Gender Pay Gap for Private-Sector Employees in Canada and Britain,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 50(3), pages 529-553, 09.
- Drolet, Marie & Mumford, Karen A., 2009. "The Gender Pay Gap for Private Sector Employees in Canada and Britain," IZA Discussion Papers 3957, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marie Drolet & Karen Mumford, . "The Gender Pay Gap for Private Sector Employees in Canada and Britain," Discussion Papers 09/28, Department of Economics, University of York.
- A. Bennett, 2011. "Learning to Be Job Ready: Strategies for Greater Social Inclusion in Public Sector Employment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 347-359, December.
- Chzhen, Yekaterina & Mumford, Karen A., 2009.
"Gender Gaps across the Earnings Distribution in Britain: Are Women Bossy Enough?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4331, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yekaterina Chzhen & Karen Mumford, . "Gender Gaps Across the Earnings Distribution in Britain: Are Women Bossy Enough?," Discussion Papers 09/27, Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.