Determinants of the Effective Real Exchange Rate of the Synthetic Euro: Alternative Methodological Approaches
AbstractOn the basis of historical data aggregated over the period 1973 to 2000, we have experimented with four different approaches to estimate the synthetic euro's equilibrium exchange rate. Using a number of competing models with the same data set, variable definitions and sample period offers the possibility to assess the uncertainty surrounding such equilibrium levels, both from an empirical (different estimates) and a theoretical viewpoint (different specifications). In this exercise, the 'Rest of the World' is proxied by the US, the UK, Japan and Switzerland, aggregated on the basis of trade weights. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd/University of Adelaide and Flinders University of South Australia 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Australian Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 41 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-900X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmen Mar? Mart?ez, 2003. "The Structural Approach of a Natrex Model on Equilibrium Exchange Rates," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 588.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Kateřina Šmídková & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2003.
"Estimates of fundamental real exchange rates for the five eu pre-accession countries,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(4).
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland & Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "Estimates of Fundamental Real Echange Rates for the Five EU Pre- Accession Countries," Macroeconomics 0303016, EconWPA.
- Katerina Smidkova & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2002. "Estimates of Fundamental Real Exchange Rates for the Five EU Pre-Accession Countries," Working Papers 2002/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2006. "Does the Euro follow the German Mark? Evidence from the monetary model of the exchange rate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1279-1295, July.
- Dieppe, Alistair & Kuester, Keith & McAdam, Peter, 2004.
"Optimal monetary policy rules for the euro area: an analysis using the area wide model,"
Working Paper Series
0360, European Central Bank.
- ALISTAIR DIEPPE & KEITH KÜSTER & PETER McADAM, 2005. "Optimal Monetary Policy Rules for the Euro Area: An Analysis Using the Area Wide Model," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 507-537, 09.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2003. "Monetary stability, financial stability and the business cycle: five views," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 18, April.
- Siregar, Reza, 2011.
"The Concepts of Equilibrium Exchange Rate: A Survey of Literature,"
28987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reza Siregar, 2011. "The Concepts of Equilibrium Exchange Rate: A Survey of Literature," Staff Papers, South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number sp81, June.
- Stein L., 2001. "The Equilibrium Value of The Euro/$ US Exchange Rate: An Evaluation of Research," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 73-108, January -.
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Richter, Christian, 2004. "Estimating an equilibrium exchange rate for the dollar and other key currencies," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1117-1144, December.
- Didier Borowski & Cecile Couharde, 2003. "The Exchange Rate Macroeconomic Balance Approach: New Methodology and Results for the Euro, the Dollar, the Yen and the Pound Sterling," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 169-190, April.
- Dieppe, Alistair & Henry, Jerome, 2004. "The euro area viewed as a single economy: how does it respond to shocks?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 833-875, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.