Feeling Richer or Poorer than Others: A Cross-section and Panel Analysis of Subjective Economic Status in Indonesia
AbstractThis paper examines what makes us feel richer or poorer than others. It investigates cross-sectional and longitudinal determinants of individuals' subjective economic status in Indonesia. Using two waves of Indonesian Family Life Surveys, 1997 and 2000, I show that individuals' perceptions of where they are on the economic scale are more dependent on a number of socioeconomic characteristics, as well as their attitudes towards their future economic status, than their current spending capacities would suggest. I also find significant, albeit weaker, expenditure and income effects on individuals' subjective economic status once individual fixed effects are controlled for in the regression. Copyright 2007 The Authors Journal compilation 2007 East Asian Economic Association and Blackwell Publishing Ltd .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by East Asian Economic Association in its journal Asian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 21 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1351-3958
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danzer, Alexander M. & Dietz, Barbara & Gatskova, Ksenia & Schmillen, Achim, 2013.
"Showing Off to the New Neighbors? Income, Socioeconomic Status and Consumption Patterns of Internal Migrants,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7370, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Danzer, Alexander M. & Dietz, Barbara & Gatskova, Ksenia & Schmillen, Achim, 2014. "Showing off to the new neighbors? Income, socioeconomic status and consumption patterns of internal migrants," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 230-245.
- Danzer, Alexander M. & Dietz, Barbara & Gatskova, Ksenia & Schmillen, Achim, 2013. "Showing off to the new neighbors? Income, socioeconomic status and consumption patterns of internal migrants," Munich Reprints in Economics 20029, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alexander M. Danzer & Barbara Dietz & Kseniia Gatskova & Achim Schmillen, 2013. "Showing off to the new neighbors? Income, socioeconomic status and consumption patterns of internal migrants," Working Papers 330, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Farré, Lídia & Fasani, Francesco, 2013.
"Media exposure and internal migration — Evidence from Indonesia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 48-61.
- Farré, Lídia & Fasani, Francesco, 2011. "Media Exposure and Internal Migration: Evidence from Indonesia," IZA Discussion Papers 6012, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lidia Farré & Francesco Fasani, 2011. "Media Exposure and Internal Migration – Evidence from Indonesia," Working Papers 577, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Lídia Farré & Francesco Fasani, 2011. "Media Exposure and Internal Migration - Evidence from Indonesia," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1117, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Lídia Farré & Francesco Fasani, 2011. "Media Exposure and Internal Migration -Evidence from Indonesia," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 883.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Nattavudh Powdthavee, 2009. "How important is rank to individual perception of economic standing? A within-community analysis," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 225-248, September.
- Nobles, Jenna & Weintraub, Miranda Ritterman & Adler, Nancy E., 2013. "Subjective socioeconomic status and health: Relationships reconsidered," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 58-66.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.