The Governance of cooperatives and mutual associations: a paradox perspective
AbstractThis paper presents a new theoretical framework for understanding the governance of co-operative and mutual organisations. The theoretical literature on the governance of co-operatives is relatively undeveloped in comparison with that on corporate governance. The paper briefly reviews some of the main theoretical perspectives on corporate governance and discusses how they can be usefully extended to throw light on the governance of co-operatives and mutuals. However, taken individually these different theories are rather one dimensional, only illuminating a particular aspect of the board's role. This has lead to calls for a new conceptual framework that can help integrate the insights of these different theories. The paper argues that a paradox perspective offers a promising way forward. Contrasting the different theoretical perspectives highlights some of the important paradoxes, ambiguities and tensions that boards face. Copyright CIRIEC, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Annals of Public & Cooperative Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1370-4788
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sagebiel, Julian & Müller, Jakob R. & Rommel, Jens, 2013. "Are Consumers Willing to Pay More for Electricity from Cooperatives? Results from an Online Choice Experiment in Germany," MPRA Paper 52385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adel Elgharbawy & Magdy Abdel-Kader, 2013. "Enterprise governance and value-based management: a theoretical contingency framework," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-129, February.
- Ton, Giel & Vellema, Sietze & DeRuyterDeWildt, Marieke, 2011. "Credible evidence on complex change processes: key challenges in impact evaluation on agricultural value chains," MPRA Paper 32027, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mersland, Roy, 2009.
"The Cost of Ownership in Microfinance Organizations,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 469-478, February.
- Mersland, Roy, 2007. "The cost of ownership in microfinance organization," MPRA Paper 2061, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2011.
"Multinationals or Cooperatives: Does it Matter to Farmers? - A Study of the Dairy Sector in Punjab (India),"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
115545, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vandeplas, Anneleen & Minten, Bart & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2012. "Multinationals versus cooperatives: The income and efficiency effects of supply chain governance in India," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126892, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giuseppe Marcon & Lorenzo Dorigo, 2012. "Stakeholder theory and care management: An inquiry into social enterprises," Working Papers 21, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Cook, Michael L., 2013. "Impact of Board Structure and Process on Cooperative Performance," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149420, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bijman, W.J.J. & Hendrikse, G.W.J. & van Oijen, A.A.C.J., 2012. "Accommodating Two Worlds in One Organization: Changing Board Models in Agricultural Cooperatives," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2012-015-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Anaïs A Périlleux, 2010. "Maturity Mismatch and Governance of Microfinance Cooperatives: Lessons from History," Working Papers CEB 10-005.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Axelle Faure-Ferlet & Sonia Capelli & William Sabadie, 2014. "Co-operative firms as perceived by external stakeholders: how do consumers perceive organizational tensions?," Post-Print halshs-00987840, HAL.
- Sacchetti, Silvia & Tortia, Ermanno, 2012. "The internal and external governance of cooperatives: the effective membership and consistency of value," AICCON Working Papers 111-2012, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Benjamin Huybrechts, 2010. "Fair Trade Organizations in Belgium: Unity in Diversity?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 217-240, April.
- Wim Fonteyne, 2007. "Cooperative Banks in Europe," IMF Working Papers 07/159, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernardi, Andrea, 2007. "The Cooperative Organization: Economic, Organisational and Policy Issues," AICCON Working Papers 42-2007, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Odile Paulus & Christophe Lejeune, 2013. "What do board members in art organizations do? A grounded theory approach," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 963-988, November.
- Saïsset, L.A. & Couderc, J.P., 2013. "Les trois dimensions de la gouvernance coopérative : à la recherche d'un équilibre instable. Le cas des caves coopératives en Languedoc-Roussillon [France]," Working Papers MOISA 201302, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Miguel Cunha & Arménio Rego & Antonino Vaccaro, 2014. "Organizations as Human Communities and Internal Markets: Searching for Duality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 120(4), pages 441-455, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.