Leading Indicators for the Service Sector
AbstractSince the service sector currently accounts for a large and growing share of U.S. economic activity, we have undertaken to develop indicators that throw light on its current status and future prospects. A composite coincident index of aggregate economic activity in the service sector is constructed, and a growth-cycle chronology is identified based on growth rates in this index and in its components. Then several macroeconomic leading indicators of service are identified, and from them a composite leading index is constructed. The growth rate in this index is found to give advance warnings of major swings in the growth of the service sector.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Derek Yu & AdÃ©l Bosch, 2012.
"Trends on the hours worked of the employed, 1997 - 2011,"
302, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Derek Yu & Adél Bosch, 2012. "Trends on the hours worked of the employed, 1997 - 2011," Working Papers 15/2012, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Pami Dua & Anirvan Banerji & Stephen M. Miller, 2006.
"Performance evaluation of the New Connecticut Leading Employment Index using lead profiles and BVAR models,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(6), pages 415-437.
- Anirvan Banerji & Pami Dua & Stephen M. Miller, 2003. "Performance Evaluation of the New Connecticut Leading Employment Index Using Lead Profiles and BVAR Models," Working papers 114, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Anirvan Banerji & Pami Dua & Stephen M. Miller, 2002. "Performance Evaluation of the New Connecticut Leading Employment Index Using Lead Profiles and BVAR Models," Working papers 2002-34, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2005.
- Pami Dua & Anirvan Banerji, 2010.
"A Leading Index for the Indian Economy,"
- Kajal Lahiri & Herman O. Stekler & Wenxiong Yao & Peg Young, 2003. "Monthly Output Index for the U.S. Transportation Sector," Discussion Papers 03-12, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Klaus Wohlrabe, 2012. "Prognose des Dienstleistungssektors in Deutschland," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 65(01), pages 31-39, 01.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Yao, Wenxiong, 2004.
"A dynamic factor model of the coincident indicators for the US transportation sector,"
22360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kajal Lahiri & Wenxiong Yao, 2004. "A dynamic factor model of the coincident indicators for the US transportation sector," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 595-600.
- Banerji, Anirvan & Hiris, Lorene, 2001. "A framework for measuring international business cycles," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 333-348.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2005. "New algorithms for dating the business cycle," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 477-498, April.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Yao, Vincent Wenxiong, 2006. "Economic indicators for the US transportation sector," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 872-887, December.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Voß, Katrin, 1999. "Do business-related services really lag behind manufacturing industries in the business cycle?," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Valentina Aprigliano & Lorenzo Bencivelli, 2013. "Ita-coin: a new coincident indicator for the Italian economy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 935, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kajal Lahiri & Wenxiong Yao & Peg Young, 2003. "Cycles in the Transportation Sector and the Aggregate Economy," Discussion Papers 03-14, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.