Poultry-Related Price Transmissions and Structural Change Since the 1950's
AbstractWe use a vector autoregression analysis of corn price, farm poultry price, and consumer poultry (meat) price for two periods, a mid-1950's to late 1960's period and an early 1970's to mid-1980's period. We explored the dynamic aspects of the estimated price transmission models of these two periods. Statistically significant evidence suggests a change in the dynamics of these price transmissions between the two periods. Price-increasing shocks to corn production are now more likely to be passed on to consumers more quickly as prices increase. Evidence also suggests that, since the early period, corn has become an increasingly important factor in explaining poultry prices, and substantial market change has occurred in the poultry industry at the retail level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics Research.
Volume (Year): (2)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Corn/poultry price dynamics; vector autregression; Tiao-Box likelihood ratio tests; Kloek-Van Dijk Monte Carlo methods; industry structural change; Crop Production/Industries; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
- David A. Bessler, 1984. "An Analysis of Dynamic Economic Relationships: An Application to the U.S. Hog Market," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, 03.
- Ronald A. Babula & Robert F. J. Remain, 1990. "Dynamic corn-broiler price relationships: The cases of the United States and Canada," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 371-385.
- Babula, Ronald A. & Romain, Robert F.J., 1991. "Canada's Broiler Supply Management Program: A Shield From U.S. Price Volatility," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Babula, Ronald A. & Bessler, David A., 1990. "The Corn-Egg Price Transmission Mechanism," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.