The Impacts Of Quality On Cash Fed Cattle Prices
AbstractQuality factors affecting fed cattle prices were examined during a six-month period in southwestern Kansas. Transaction prices were significantly affected by the percentage of cattle expected to grade choice times the choice-to-select carcass price spread, finish uniformity, average weight, dressing percentage, breed, number of cattle purchased by a single packer on a given day, the packer, the feedyard, the day-of-the-week the cattle were sold, and the number of bids received. Asking prices were significantly affected by many of the same factors. Asking and transaction prices reflected approximately 25 percent of the packer value differentials for expected carcass quality grades.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1992)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ward, Clement E., 1981. "Short-Period Pricing Models For Fed Cattle And Impacts Of Wholesale Carcass Beef And Live Cattle Futures Market Prices," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank & Grunewald, Orlen C., 1988. "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Price Differentials," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Ward, Clement E., 1982. "Relationship Between Fed Cattle Market Shares And Prices Paid By Beefpackers In Localized Markets," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(01), July.
- Anderson, David P. & Mintert, James R. & Brester, Gary W., 1998. "The North American Livestock Industry: A U.S. Perspective," Economic Harmonization in the Canadian\U.S.\Mexican Grain-Livestock Subsector; Proceedings of the 4th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems... 1998 16765, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Schroeder, Ted C., 1997. "Fed Cattle Spatial Transactions Price Relationships," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Lynn Hunnicutt & DeeVon Bailey & Michelle Crook, 2002.
"Measuring Market Power with Variables Other than Price,"
2002-08, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Hunnicutt, Lynn & Bailey, DeeVon & Crook, Michelle, 2002. "Measuring Market Power With Variables Other Than Price," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19799, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E., 2011.
"Trade-Related Policy and Canadian-U.S. Fed Cattle Transactions Basis,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E., 2011. "Trade-Related Policy and Canadian-U.S. Fed Cattle Transactions Basis," Staff General Research Papers 35143, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Unterschultz, James R., 2000. "New Instruments For Co-Ordination And Risk Sharing Within The Canadian Beef Industry," Project Report Series 24046, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E. & Mintert, James R. & Peel, Derrell S., 1997. "Value-Based Pricing of Fed Cattle: Challenges and Research Agenda," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35837, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.