Experimental Simulation Of Public Information Impacts On Price Discovery And Marketing Efficiency In The Fed Cattle Market
AbstractFederal budgetary pressures raise questions regarding the importance of public market information. This study assesses the impact of price discovery and production efficiency of reducing public price and quantity information. The amount and type of information provided to Fed Cattle Market Simulator (FCMS) participants was varied by periodically withholding current and weekly summary information according to a predetermined experimental design. Results show that reducing information increased price variance and decreased marketing efficiency; that is, more cattle were delivered at weights deviating from 1,150 pounds- the least-cost marketing weight in the simulator. These factors, which increase costs, make the industry less competitive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Rodney D. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank, 1992. "The Impacts Of Quality On Cash Fed Cattle Prices," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Perloff, Jeffrey M & Zusman, Pinhas, 1985. "The food marketing system: the relevance of economic efficiency measures," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7361f847, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:666489 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fausti, Scott W. & Keimig, R. & Diersen, Matthew A. & Kim, Han & Santos, Joseph M., 2003. "Mandatory Versus Voluntary Price Reporting: An Empirical Investigation Of The Market Transparency Controversy," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35139, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A. & Qasmi, Bashir A., 2007. "Public Price Reporting in the Cash Market for Live Cattle: A Spatial Market Approach," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Clement E. Ward & Jong-In Lee, 2002. "Impacts from meatpacking firm mergers in an experimental market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 247-260.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A., 2003.
"Did The Voluntary Price Reporting System Fail To Provide Price Transparency In The Cash Market For Dressed Steers: Evidence From South Dakota,"
2003 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 2003, Denver, Colorado
35971, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Fausti, S.W & Diersen, M., 2003. "Did the Voluntary Price Reporting System Fail to Provide Price Transparency in the Cash Market for Dressed Steers: Evidence from South Dakota," Staff Papers 030001, South Dakota State University, Department of Economics.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A., 2004. "The Voluntary Reporting System's Ability to Provide Price Transparency in the Cash Market for Dressed Steers: Evidence from South Dakota," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Nicols, Panos & Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., 2009. "Are Australian wholesale vegetable markets LOOPy?," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47618, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Carlberg, Jared G. & Ward, Clement E., 2001. "A Partial-Adjustment, Mixed Linear Model Of Price Discovery In An Experimental Market For Fed Cattle," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20598, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ward, Clement E. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Peel, Derrell S. & Trapp, James N., 2001. "Lessons Learned From Research With The Fed Cattle Market Simulator," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36181, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lyford, Conrad P. & Hicks, R. Todd & Ward, Clement E. & Trapp, James N. & Peel, Derrell S., 2001. "The Effect Of Contracting On Pricing Dynamics In The Fed Cattle Market: An Experimental Simulation Approach," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20535, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wilson, William W. & Dahl, Bruce L. & Johnson, D. Demcey, 1999. "Transparency And Bidding Competition In International Wheat Trade," Agricultural Economics Reports 23403, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E., 2000. "Price Discovery Issues And Trends In Cattle And Hog Markets," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36418, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Anderson, John D. & Hudson, Darren & Harri, Ardian & Turner, Steven C., 2007. "A New Taxonomy of Thin Markets," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34826, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Koontz, Stephen R., 2012. "Impacts of "Right of First Refusal" on Competitiveness of Fed Cattle Markets: Results from an Economic Experiment," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123875, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jared G. Carlberg & Robert J. Hogan & Clement E. Ward, 2009. "Game theory application to Fed Cattle procurement in an experimental market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 56-69.
- Fausti, Scott & Diersen, Matthew, 2005. "Price Transparency in the Voluntary Price Reporting System for Live Cattle: Theory and Empirical Evidence from South Dakota," Staff Papers 050001, South Dakota State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.