Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Price Differentials
AbstractFeeder cattle prices are determined by the interaction of many factors. This study uses 1986 and 1987 Kansas feeder cattle auction data to investigate the impact of a wide variety of physical characteristics, many of which have not been used in previous studies on feeder cattle prices. Unlike previous studies, this analysis explicitly incorporates changes in feeder cattle market fundamentals during the data collection period and also allows price differentials to vary by sex and weight. Weight, weight-squared, lot size, lot size-squared, health, muscling, frame size, condition, fill, breed, presence of horns, and time of sale are significant factors affecting feeder cattle prices on any given day. Several physical traits also exhibit different seasonal price impacts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1988)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis; Livestock Production/Industries;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ibarburu, Maro A. & Lawrence, John D., 2005. "Sorting Cattle with Accumulated Data: What is the Accuracy and Economics," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19044, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Mintert, James R. & Blair, Joanne & Schroeder, Ted C. & Brazle, Frank, 1990. "Analysis Of Factors Affecting Cow Auction Price Differentials," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Hiner, Frina D., 1995. "Determinants Of Cow-Calf Pair Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(02), December.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2002. "Asymmetric Value Of Preconditioning Programs For Feeder Cattle," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36559, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Chris Fawson & DeeVon Bailey & Terry Glover, 1996. "Price impacts of concentration, timing, and product characteristics in a feeder cattle video auction," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 485-496.
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122309 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wachenheim, Cheryl J. & Black, J. Roy & Schelegal, M.L. & Rust, Steven R., 1999. "Economics Of Alternative Stocking Densities For Direct-Seeded Central Michigan Alfalfa Pastures," Staff Papers 11697, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Vickner, Steven S. & Koch, Stephen I., 2001. "Hedonic Pricing, Information, And The Market For Thoroughbred Yearlings," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Swanser, Kole, 2013. "Dynamics of Feeder Cattle Basis and Price Slides," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150249, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hufton, Charlie & Griffith, Garry R. & Mullen, John D., 2008. "The influence of weight and fat on lamb prices revisited," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 6021, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Williams, Brian R. & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 2014. "Reducing Self-Selection Bias in Feeder Cattle Premium Estimates Using Matched Sampling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(1), April.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Jones, John M. & Nichols, David A., 1989. "Analysis of Feeder Pig Auction Price Differentials," Staff Papers 133738, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Zimmerman, Lance C. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Olson, K.C. & Stokka, Gerald L. & Seeger, Jon T. & Grotelueschen, Dale M., 2012. "The Effect of Value-Added Management on Calf Prices at Superior Livestock Auction Video Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Pierce, Vern L. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Randle, Richard & Patterson, David J., 1999. "Determinants Of Sale Price And Farm Value In The Missouri Show-Me Select Replacement Heifer Program," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21545, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jones, Rodney D. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank, 1992. "The Impacts Of Quality On Cash Fed Cattle Prices," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Williams, Galen S. & Raper, Kellie Curry & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & McKinney, Doug, 2012. "Determinants of Price Differentials in Oklahoma Value-Added Feeder Cattle Auctions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Baggett, Hub B., IV & Ward, Clement E. & Child, Dan M., 2002. "Efficiency Of Market Price Signals For Feeder Cattle Frame Size And Muscling," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36661, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122317 is not listed on IDEAS
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Patterson, David J. & Randle, Richard, 2005. "The Value of Carcass Characteristic EPDs in Bred Heifer Price," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19041, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.