A Review of the Arts of Supply Response Analysis
AbstractThis paper classifies methods for estimating agricultural output supply responses to price into two broad categories (1) programming and (2) econometric. The latter category is further subdivided into two-stage procedures, directly estimated supply systems and directly estimated single commodity models. In Part 1 the theoretical basis of these methods is considered, while Part 2 explores their strengths, weaknesses and potentials from an empirical standpoint.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 51 (1983)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burgess, David F., 1975. "Duality theory and pitfalls in the specification of technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 105-121, May.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-68, August.
- Cooley, Thomas F & DeCanio, Stephen J, 1977. "Rational Expectations in American Agriculture, 1867-1914," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 9-17, February.
- Tweeten, Luther G & Quance, C Leroy, 1969. "Positivistic Measures of Aggregate Supply Elasticities: Some New Approaches," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 175-83, May.
- Peck, Anne E, 1976. "Futures Markets, Supply Response, and Price Stability," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 407-23, August.
- Peter B. Dixon & David P. Vincent & Alan A. Powell, 1976. "Factor Demand and Product Supply Relations in Australian Agriculture : The CRESH/CRETH Production System," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-08, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Vincent, David P & Dixon, Peter B & Powell, Alan A, 1980. "The Estimation of Supply Response in Australian Agrucilture: The CRESH/CRETH Production System," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 221-42, February.
- Tweeten, Luther G. & Strickland, P. Leo & Plaxico, James S., 1968. "Interregional Competition in Cotton Production," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Cowling, Keith G. & Baker, Chester B., 1963. "A Polyperiod Model for Estimating the Supply of Milk," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 1.
- Wickens, M R & Greenfield, J N, 1973. "The Econometrics of Agricultural Supply: An Application to the World Coffee Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(4), pages 433-40, November.
- Sharples, Jerry A, 1969. "The Representative Farm Approach to Estimation of Supply Response," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 168-74, May.
- Saunders, Caroline M. & Kaye-Blake, William & Cagatay, Selim, 2009. "Analyzing Drivers of World Food Prices: Weather, Growth, and Biofuels," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51460, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Smith, Anna Rickett & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2002. "An Economic Evaluation Of Cotton And Peanut Research In Southeastern United States," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19900, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Foster, Kenneth A. & Mwanaumo, Anthony, 1995.
"Estimation of dynamic maize supply response in Zambia,"
Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 99-107, April.
- Foster, Kenneth A. & Mwanaumo, Anthony, 1995. "Estimation of dynamic maize supply response in Zambia," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 12(1), April.
- Hall, Nigel H. & Fraser, L. & Purtill, A., 1988. "Supply Response in Broadacre Agriculture," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(03), December.
- Deybe, D., 1998. "Can agricultural sector models be a tool for policy analysis? An application for the case of Burkina Faso," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 367-380, November.
- Stefanides, Zdenko & Tauer, Loren W., 1997. "Estimating Individual Farm Supply And Demand Elasticities Using Nonparametric Production Analysis," Working Papers 14743, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex, 1996. "Expectations, supply response, and marketing boards: An example from Kenya," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 21-31, April.
- Kaye-Blake, William & Saunders, Caroline M., 2006. "Estimated Contribution of Four Biotechnologies to New Zealand Agriculture," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21133, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Winter-Nelson, Alex, 1996. "Expectations, supply response, and marketing boards: An example from Kenya," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 14(1), April.
- Vavra, Pavel & Colman, David, 2003. "The analysis of UK crop allocation at the farm level: implications for supply response analysis," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 697-713, May.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano, 2014. "On the Estimation of Supply and Demand Elasticities of Agricultural Commodites," MPRA Paper 56126, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.