A Farm Level Evaluation of a New Twinning Technology in Beef Cattle
AbstractThis article describes a farm level case study evaluation of a new beef production technology. The evaluation was undertaken as input into a technical research project aimed at developing farm level management strategies to facilitate use of the twinning technology when it becomes commercially available. The evaluation includes budgeting methods and a Linear Programming analysis. A risk analysis was also conducted in which key factors are varied stochastically and the resulting distributions of activity gross margins compared. The analysis shows that twinning could potentially improve the returns to intensive beef production systems, depending importantly on the level and variability of weaning percentage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 59 (1991)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Bardsley & M. Harris, 1987.
"An Approach To The Econometric Estimation Of Attitudes To Risk In Agriculture,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(2), pages 112-126, 08.
- Bardsley, Peter & Harris, Michael, 1987. "An Approach To The Econometric Estimation Of Attitudes To Risk In Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(02), August.
- Bond, Gary E. & Wonder, Bernard, 1980. "Risk Attitudes Amongst Australian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 24(01), April.
- Meyer, Jack, 1977. "Second Degree Stochastic Dominance with Respect to a Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 477-87, June.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Pandey, Sushil, 1990. "Risk-efficient irrigation strategies for wheat," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 59-71, April.
- Farquharson, R. J. & Griffith, G. R., 1991. "The potential economic returns to the Australian beef industry from a new twinning technology," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 79-103.
- Anderson, Jock R., 1974. "Risk Efficiency in the Interpretation of Agricultural Production Research," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(03), September.
- Alford, Andrew R. & Griffith, Garry R. & Cacho, Oscar J., 2003. "Farm-level Economic Evaluation of Net Feed Efficiency in Australia’s Southern Beef Cattle Production System: A Multi-period Linear Programming Approach," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57826, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Alford, Andrew R. & Griffith, Garry R. & Cacho, Oscar J., 2003. "A Northern Tablelands Whole-Farm Linear Program for Economic Evaluation of New Technologies at the Farm-Level," Research Reports 28010, New South Wales Department of Primary Industries Research Economists.
- Alford, Andrew R. & Griffith, Garry R. & Davies, Lloyd, 2003. "Livestock Farming Systems in the Northern Tablelands of NSW: An Economic Analysis," Research Reports 28005, New South Wales Department of Primary Industries Research Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.