Identifying Implicit Collusion Under Declining Output Demand
AbstractThe "trigger price" oligopoly model is used to develop a test for oligopolistic as well as oligopsonistic conduct by observing how an industry responds to unexpected declines in output demand. The hypothesis that U.S. beef packers maintain cooperative pricing strategies is rejected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1996)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1990. "Measuring Market Power in Multi-Product Oligopolies: The U.S. Meat Industry," Staff General Research Papers 11112, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- A. M. Azzam, 1992. "Testing The Competitiveness Of Food Price Spreads," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 248-256.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schroeter, John R., 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
Staff General Research Papers
11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-62, February.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr & Grings, Michael & Glauben, Thomas, 2009.
"Oligopsony Power in the Ukrainian Milk Processing Industry: Evidence from the Regional Markets for Raw Milk,"
16991, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr & Grings, Michael & Glauben, Thomas, 2009. "Oligopsony Power in the Ukrainian Milk Processing Industry: Evidence from the Regional Markets for Raw Milk," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50965, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hunnicutt, Lynn & Bailey, DeeVon & Crook, Michelle, 2002.
"Measuring Market Power With Variables Other Than Price,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19799, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lynn Hunnicutt & DeeVon Bailey & Michelle Crook, 2002. "Measuring Market Power with Variables Other than Price," Working Papers 2002-08, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1998. "Competition in the US meatpacking industry: is it history?," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 107-126, March.
- Lynn Hunnicutt & David Aadland, 2002.
"Market Power with Dynamic Invertory Constraints: The Bias in Standard Measures,"
2002-15, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Lynn Hunnicutt & David Aadland, 2002. "Market Power with Dynamic Inventory Constraints: The Bias in Standard Measures," Industrial Organization 0211024, EconWPA.
- Perekhozhuk Oleksandr & Hockmann Heinrich & Fertő Imre & Bakucs Lajos Zoltán, 2013.
"Identification of Market Power in the Hungarian Dairy Industry: A Plant-Level Analysis,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr & Hockmann, Heinrich & Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre, 2011. "Identification Of Market Power In The Hungarian Dairy Industry: A Plant-Level Analysis," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114768, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.