Economic Impacts of Adoption of Best Management Practices by Crawfish Producers: The Role of the Environmental Quality Incentives Program
AbstractThis study investigates reasons for adoption of best management practices (BMP), crawfish farmersâ€™ participation in the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), and economic impacts of BMP adoption using data from a 2008 survey of crawfish producers. Most-cited reasons for BMP adoption are farmersâ€™ perceptions of increases in profit and long-run productivity. Land tenancy, education, double-cropping or crop rotation, and proximity to a stream influence EQIP participation. Perceptions of economic profits depend on the practices used. Participation in EQIP negatively impacts farmersâ€™ perceptions of profitability from adopting BMPs. The results underscore the importance of economic incentives in promoting BMP adoption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 41 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
conservation practices; conservation programs; crop rotation; double-cropping; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy; Farm Management; Livestock Production/Industries; Production Economics; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zepeda, Lydia, 1994. "Simultaneity Of Technology Adoption And Productivity," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Meredith J. Soule & Abebayehu Tegene & Keith D. Wiebe, 2000. "Land Tenure and the Adoption of Conservation Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 993-1005.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 1999. "Technology Adoption Decisions In Dairy Production And The Role Of Herd Expansion," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(1), April.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, December.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, December.
- Jeffrey Gillespie & Seon-Ae Kim & Krishna Paudel, 2007. "Why don't producers adopt best management practices? An analysis of the beef cattle industry," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 89-102, 01.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Davis, Christopher G. & Rahelizatovo, Noro C., 2004. "Factors Influencing the Adoption of Breeding Technologies in U.S. Hog Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, Swagata (Ban) & Martin, Steven W. & Roberts, Roland K. & Larkin, Sherry L. & Larson, James A. & Paxton, Kenneth W. & English, Burton C. & Marra, Michele C. & Reeves, Jeanne M., 2008. "A Binary Logit Estimation of Factors Affecting Adoption of GPS Guidance Systems by Cotton Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Rahelizatovo, Noro C. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2004. "The Adoption of Best-Management Practices by Louisiana Dairy Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996.
"Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices,"
24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996. "Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- William D. McBride & Sara Short & Hisham El-Osta, 2004. "The Adoption and Impact of Bovine Somatotropin on U.S. Dairy Farms," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 472-488.
- Bergtold, Jason S. & Molnar, Joseph J., 2010. "Limited Access to Conservation: Limited- Resource Farmer Participation in the Conservation Security Program in the Southeast," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 42(02), May.
- Pushkarskaya, Helen N. & Vedenov, Dmitry V., 2009. "Farming Exit Decision by Age Group: Analysis of Tobacco Buyout Impact in Kentucky," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 41(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.