European agri-environmental policy for the 21st century
AbstractThe present paper reviews the development of agri-environmental policy in Europe and assesses its prospects. While it does so from a predominantly UK perspective, there are many common features of the experience and policy choices across the majority of Member States. The first generation of agri-environmental measures applied command-and-control regulation for the prevention of pollution. Second-generation measures pay farmers for providing environmental public goods. The emphasis on ‘amenity’ derived from the maintenance of agricultural production systems contrasts with policy approaches in Australia and the USA. Well-designed incentive schemes constitute ‘quasi-markets’ for public goods, correcting for a pre-existing market failure. Problems in the delivery of policy include poor spatial targeting and a lack of clarity between environmental and income support objectives. Various changes will be required in order to increase the environmental effectiveness and efficiency of agri-environmental mechanisms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 47 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural and Food Policy; Environmental Economics and Policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Uwe Latacz-Lohmann & Ian Hodge, 2003. "European agri-environmental policy for the 21st century," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), pages 123-139, 03.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slangen, L H G, 1992. "Policies for Nature and Landscape Conservation in Dutch Agriculture: An Evaluation of Objectives, Means, Effects and Programme Costs," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 331-50.
- Ian Hodge, 2000. "Agri-environmental Pelationships and the Choice of Policy Mechanism," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 257-273, 02.
- Uwe Latacz-Lohmann & Carel Van der Hamsvoort, 1997. "Auctioning Conservation Contracts: A Theoretical Analysis and an Application," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 407-418.
- Schönhart, Martin & Schauppenlehner, Thomas & Schmid, Erwin & Muhar, Andreas, 2011. "Integration of bio-physical and economic models to analyze management intensity and landscape structure effects at farm and landscape level," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 122-134, February.
- Thilo Glebe & Uwe Latacz-Lohmann, 2007. "Agricultural multifunctionality and trade liberalisation," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 82, pages 57-73.
- Bertoni, Danilo & Olper, Alessandro, 2012. "The Political Economy Of Agri-Environmental Measures: An Empirical Assessment At The Eu Regional Level," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 6.
- Moons, Ellen & Rousseau, Sandra, 2007.
"Policy options for afforestation in Flanders,"
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 194-203, October.
- Rousseau Sandra & Moons Ellen, . "Auctioning Conservation Contracts: An Application to the Flemish Afforestation Policy," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0606, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Baerenklau, Kenneth A. & Nergis, Nermin & Schwabe, Kurt A., 2007. "Effects of Nutrient Restrictions on Confined Animal Facilities: Insights from a Structural Model," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon 10253, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Katrakilidis, K. & Mardas, D., 2010.
"Intra-industry Trade in Agricultural Products on intra-EC level: The Impact of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Funds,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2), June.
- Katrakilidis, Konstantinos & Mardas, Dimitri, 2010. "Intra-industry Trade in Agricultural Products on intra-EC level: The Impact of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Funds," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2), June.
- Katrakilidis, Constantinos & Mardas, Dimitris, 2011. "Intra-industry Trade in Agricultural Products at intra-EC level: The Impact of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Funds," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 12(2), June.
- Jeff Bennett & Martin van Bueren & Stuart Whitten, 2004.
"Estimating society's willingness to pay to maintain viable rural communities,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(3), pages 487-512, 09.
- Bennett, Jeffrey W. & van Bueren, Martin & Whitten, Stuart M., 2004. "Estimating society's willingness to pay to maintain viable rural communities," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(3), September.
- Connor, Jeffery D. & Ward, John R. & Bryan, Brett, 2008. "Exploring the cost effectiveness of land conservation auctions and payment policies," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(3), September.
- Eigenraam, Mark & Chua, Joselito J. & Edwards, Claire, 2011. "Empirical methods for determining a reserve price in conservation auctions," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 101406, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Ernest Reig-Martínez & José A. Gómez-Limón & Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo, 2010.
"Ranking farms with a composite indicator of sustainability,"
1005, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Ernest Reig‐Martínez & José A. Gómez‐Limón & Andrés J. Picazo‐Tadeo, 2011. "Ranking farms with a composite indicator of sustainability," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(5), pages 561-575, 09.
- Canton, Joan & De Cara, Stéphane & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2009.
"Agri-environmental schemes: Adverse selection, information structure and delegation,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2114-2121, May.
- Joan Canton & Stephane De Cara & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2009. "Agri-environmental schemes: Adverse selection, information structure and delegation," Working Papers 31130, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- James Shortle & Richard D. Horan, 2013. "Policy Instruments for Water Quality Protection," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 5(1), pages 111-138, June.
- Posthumus, H. & Rouquette, J.R. & Morris, J. & Gowing, D.J.G. & Hess, T.M., 2010. "A framework for the assessment of ecosystem goods and services; a case study on lowland floodplains in England," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1510-1523, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.