Drug Innovations and Welfare Measures Computed from Market Demand: The Case of Anti-cholesterol Drugs
AbstractThe pharmaceutical industry is characterized as having substantial investment in R&D and a large number of new product introductions, which poses special problems for price measurement caused by the quality of drug products changing over time. This paper applies recent demand estimation techniques to individual-level data to construct a constant-quality price index for anti-cholesterol drugs. Although the average price for anti-cholesterol drugs does not change over the sample period, I find that the constant-quality price index drops by 27 percent, a pace more in line with our expectations in such a dynamic segment of the industry. (JEL C43, L11, L65, O31)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Journal: Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Other versions of this item:
- Abe Dunn, 2010. "Drug Innovations and Welfare Measures Computed from Market Demand: The Case of Anti-Cholesterol Drugs," BEA Working Papers 0057, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Austan Goolsbee & Amil Petrin, 2004. "The Consumer Gains from Direct Broadcast Satellites and the Competition with Cable TV," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 351-381, 03.
- Aviv Nevo, 2001.
"New Products, Quality Changes and Welfare Measures Computed From Estimated Demand Systems,"
NBER Working Papers
8425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aviv Nevo, 2003. "New Products, Quality Changes, and Welfare Measures Computed from Estimated Demand Systems," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 266-275, May.
- Sara Ellison Fisher & Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches & Jerry Hausman, 1997.
"Characteristics of Demand for Pharmaceutical Products: An Examination of Four Cephalosporins,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(3), pages 426-446, Autumn.
- Ellison, S & Cockburn, I & Griliches, A & Hausman, J, 1996. "Characteristics of Demand for Pharmaceutical Products : an Examination of four Cephalosporins," Working papers 96-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Charles J. Romeo, 2010. "Filling Out the Instrument Set in Mixed Logit Demand Systems for Aggregate Data," EAG Discussions Papers 201003, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Gaynor, Martin & Vogt, William B, 2003.
" Competition among Hospitals,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 764-85, Winter.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2003. "Competition Among Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 9471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Competition among Hospitals," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/087, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor & William Vogt, 2002. "Competition Among Hospitals," GSIA Working Papers 2003-E20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zhang, Jiankang, 2001.
"Subjective Probabilities on Subjectively Unambiguous Events,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 265-306, March.
- Larry G. Epstein & Jiankang Zhang, 1999. "Subjective Probabilities on Subjectively Unambiguous Events," Carleton Economic Papers 99-18, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Aizcorbe, Ana & Nestoriak, Nicole, 2011.
"Changing mix of medical care services: Stylized facts and implications for price indexes,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 568-574, May.
- Ana Aizcorbe & Nicole Nestoriak, 2010. "Changing Mix of Medical Care Services: Stylized Facts and Implications for Price Indexes," BEA Working Papers 0064, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Berndt, Ernst R, et al, 1995. "Information, Marketing, and Pricing in the U.S. Antiulcer Drug Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 100-105, May.
- Epstein, L.G. & Zhang, J., 1998. "Subjective Probabilities on Subjectivity Unambiguous Event," RCER Working Papers 456, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Claudio Lucarelli & Sean Nicholson, 2009. "A Quality-Adjusted Price Index for Colorectal Cancer Drugs," NBER Working Papers 15174, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pakes, Ariel & Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James A, 1993. "Applications and Limitations of Some Recent Advances in Empirical Industrial Organization: Price Indexes and the Analysis of Environmental Change," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 241-46, May.
- Ana Aizcorbe & Nicole Nestoriak, 2010. "Price Indexes for Drugs: A Review of the Issues," BEA Working Papers 0050, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas & Russell S. Winer, 1999. "Endogeneity in Brand Choice Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1324-1338, October.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Cutler, David M. & Frank, Richard G. & Griliches, Zvi & Newhouse, Joseph P. & Triplett, Jack E., 2000. "Medical care prices and output," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 119-180 Elsevier.
- Kennan, John, 1989. "Simultaneous Equations Bias in Disaggregated Econometric Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 151-56, January.
- Pradeep Chintagunta & Jean-Pierre Dubé & Khim Yong Goh, 2005. "Beyond the Endogeneity Bias: The Effect of Unmeasured Brand Characteristics on Household-Level Brand Choice Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 832-849, May.
- Manuel Trajtenberg, 1990. "Product Innovations, Price Indices and the (Mis)Measurement of Economic Performance," NBER Working Papers 3261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan & Joseph P. Newhouse & Dahlia Remler, 1998. "Are Medical Prices Declining? Evidence From Heart Attack Treatments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(4), pages 991-1024, November.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Méndez & Thomas Rønde & Hannes Ullrich, 2013.
" Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark,"
330, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," IZA Discussion Papers 7248, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79937, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Abe Dunn & Eli Liebman & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2012. "Implications of Utilization Shifts on Medical-Care Price Measurement," BEA Working Papers 0087, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Abe Dunn & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2011.
"Physician Market Power and Medical-Care Expenditures,"
BEA Working Papers
0078, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Abe Dunn & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2012. "Physician Market Power and Medical-Care Expenditures," BEA Working Papers 0084, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.