On the Measurement of Product Variety in Trade
AbstractProduct variety plays an important role in the theoretical work on monopolistic competition and trade, and recent empirical work has begun to quantify this for aggregate and disaggregate import demands. The authors discuss the measurement of product variety in trade, using a broad cross-section of industrial and developing countries and disaggregating across sectors. The authors calculate the export variety of countries in their sales to the United States, and relate the export variety indexes to country productivities. They confirm that countries with greater product variety in exports also have higher productivity. This may be due to their development of and access to these products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 94 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hiau Looi Kee, 2001. "Productivity versus endowments - a study of Singapore's sectoral growth, 1974-92," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2702, The World Bank.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Madani & Dorsati & Yang & Tzu-Han & Liang & Chi-Yuan, .
"Testing Endogenous Growth In South Korea And Taiwan,"
Department of Economics
97-16, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Madani, Dorsati & Yang, Tzu-Han & Liang, Chi-Yuan, 1999. "Testing endogenous growth in South Korea and Taiwan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 317-341, December.
- Robert Feenstra & Madani & Dorsati & Yang & Tzu-Han, and Liang, Chi-Yuan, 2003. "Testing Endogenous Growth In South Korea And Taiwan," Working Papers 9716, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Dorsati Madani & Tzu-Han Yang & Chi-Yuan Liang, 1997. "Testing Endogenous Growth in South Korea and Taiwan," NBER Working Papers 6028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Broda & David Weinstein, 2004.
"Globalization and the gains from variety,"
180, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- David Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 508, Econometric Society.
- David Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," 2004 Meeting Papers 530, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christian Broda & David E. Weinstein, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," NBER Working Papers 10314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization And The Gains From Variety," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 327, Econometric Society.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2002. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Trade," NBER Working Papers 8712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Hiau Looi Kee, 2004.
"Export Variety and Country Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
10830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sato, Kazuo, 1976. "The Ideal Log-Change Index Number," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 223-28, May.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 1999.
"Product Variety and Economic Growth-Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9906, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- By Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2001. "Product Variety and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(2), pages 1.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2000. "Product Variety and Economic Growth - Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 250, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ralf Ruhwedel & Michael Funke, 2001. "Product Variety and Economic Growth Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20104, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2002. "Export variety and export performance: Empirical evidence for the OECD countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Michael Funke, 2000. "Product Variety and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 00/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Yushi Yoshida, 2008. "Intra-Industry Trade Between Japan and Korea: Vertical Intra-Industry Trade, Fragmentation and Export Margins," Discussion Papers 32, Kyushu Sangyo University, Faculty of Economics.
- Demmou, Lilas, 2012. "How product innovation in the North may immiserize the South," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 293-304.
- World Bank, 2010. "Ukraine - Country Economic Memorandum : Strategic Choices to Accelerate and Sustain Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2905, The World Bank.
- Benarroch, Michael & Weder, Rolf, 2006. "Intra-industry trade in intermediate products, pollution and internationally increasing returns," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 675-689, November.
- Yan, Isabel K. & Kakkar, Vikas, 2011.
"Real Exchange Rates and Productivity: Evidence From Asia,"
35218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vikas Kakkar & Isabel Yan, 2012. "Real Exchange Rates and Productivity: Evidence from Asia," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 301-322, 03.
- Dutt, Pushan & Mihov, Ilian & Van Zandt, Timothy, 2013. "The effect of WTO on the extensive and the intensive margins of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 204-219.
- Cong S. Pham & Mehmet A. Ulubaşoğlu, 2013. "The Role Of Endowments, Technology And Size In International Trade: New Evidence From Product-Level Data," Economics Series 2013_8, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Kichun Kang, 2012. "Is the "Houthakker-Magee" Finding Durable? Evidence from Disaggregated Trade Flows between China and Korea," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 13(2), pages 299-316, November.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Sandra Milena Gómez, 2009. "Trade Policy and Export Diversification: What Should Colombia Expect from the FTA with the United States," IDB Publications 9292, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Christian Broda & Joshua Greenfield & David Weinstein, 2006. "From Groundnuts to Globalization: A Structural Estimate of Trade and Growth," NBER Working Papers 12512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pham, Cong S. & Lovely, Mary E. & Mitra, Devashish, 2014.
"The home-market effect and bilateral trade patterns: A reexamination of the evidence,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 120-137.
- Cong S. Pham & Mary E. Lovely & Devashish Mitra, 2009. "The Home-Market Effect and Bilateral Trade Patterns: A Reexamination of the Evidence," Economics Series 2009_12, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Tarr, David G., 2012.
"Putting services and foreign direct investment with endogenous productivity effects in computable general equilibrium models,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6012, The World Bank.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2010.
"The Quality and Variety of Exports from New EU Member States: Evidence from Very Disaggregated Data,"
2010/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2011. "The quality and variety of exports from the new EU member states," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(4), pages 723-747, October.
- Yushi Yoshida, 2008. "Industry Location and Variety Growth: Empirical Examination of Regional Exports," Discussion Papers 30, Kyushu Sangyo University, Faculty of Economics, revised Dec 2008.
- Tibor Neugebauer, & Sascha Fllbrunn, 2012. "Limited Liability, Moral Hazard and Risk Taking ? A Safety Net Game Experiment," CREA Discussion Paper Series 12-12, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2005. "Poverty effects of Russia's WTO accession : modeling"real"households and endogenous productivity effects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3473, The World Bank.
- Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2005. "The impact on Russia of WTO accession and the Doha agenda : the importance of liberalization of barriers against foreign direct investment in services for growth and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3725, The World Bank.
- Itzhak Goldberg & Lee Branstetter & John Gabriel Goddard & Smita Kuriakose, 2008. "Globalization and Ttechnology Absorption in Europe and Central Asia : The Role of Trade, FDI, and Cross-Border Knowledge Flows," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6445.
- Lee, Jim, 2011. "Export specialization and economic growth around the world," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 45-63, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.