Top 10% Deceased Economists, as of May 2018
What this page is about
- Only authors registered with the RePEc Author Service are considered.
- Only works listed on RePEc and claimed as theirs by registered authors are counted.
- A series of rankings by different criteria are aggregated. The average rank score is determined by taking a harmonic mean of the ranks in each criterion. For a list of criteria, see the general ranking page.
- This ranking takes into account those authors that are known to be deceased. Send omissions to Christian Zimmermann. Some may, for example, be among those with whom we have lost email contact.
- There are 53227 registered authors evaluated for all the rankings.
|Entity||Full ranking||Last 10 years||10 best authors||Last 10 years, 10 best authors||Top 5% authors||More|
|Institutions||Short||Details||Short||Details||Short||Details||Short||Details||All years||Last 10||More|
447 deceased authors have thus far been identified, about 0.8% of all authors.
|1||Gary S. Becker †||1.87|
|2||Clive W. J. Granger †||4.22|
|3||Zvi Griliches †||4.33|
|4||Halbert White †||5.46|
|5||Jean-Jacques Laffont †||5.64|
|6||Paul A. Samuelson †||5.9|
|7||Sherwin Rosen †||7.82|
|8||Rüdiger Dornbusch †||8.95|
|9||Anthony Barnes Atkinson †||9.1|
|10||William J. Baumol †||9.31|
|11||Julio J. Rotemberg †||9.44|
|12||Milton Friedman †||9.74|
|13||Jacob A. Mincer †||10.87|
|14||Stephen A. Ross †||11.21|
|15||Kenneth J. Arrow †||13.92|
|16||Allan H. Meltzer †||15.93|
|17||James Tobin †||16.09|
|18||Bruce D. Smith †||16.53|
|19||Dale T. Mortensen †||16.98|
|20||George J. Stigler †||19.18|
|21||David Backus †||25.37|
|22||John M. Quigley †||26.32|
Top 6%In alphabetical order
S. Rao Aiyagari †, Robert E. Lipsey †, John McMillan †, Wallace E. Oates †,
Top 7%In alphabetical order
Herschel I. Grossman †, Merton H. Miller †, Franco Modigliani †, Douglass C. North †, Piet Rietveld †,
Top 8%In alphabetical order
Jack Hirshleifer †, Steven Klepper †, Ronald I. McKinnon †, Michael Louis Mussa †,
Top 9%In alphabetical order
James M. Buchanan †, John Enrico DiNardo †, Reinhard Selten †, Alan C. Stockman †, Arnold Zellner †,
Top 10%In alphabetical order
Paul A. Geroski †, Robert John LaLonde †, Elinor Ostrom †, Anna Jacobson Schwartz †,
The data presented here is experimental. It is based on a limited sample of the research output in Economics and Finance. Only material catalogued in RePEc is considered. For any citation based criterion, only works that could be parsed by the CitEc project are considered. For any ranking of people, only those registered with the RePEc Author Service can be taken into account. And for rankings of institutions, only those listed in EDIRC and claimed as affiliation by the respective, registered authors can be measured. Thus, this list is by no means based on a complete sample. You can help making this more comprehensive by encouraging more publications to be listed (instructions) and more authors to register (form). For more details on the various rankings that are available as well for documentation, follow this link.
- Citations from CitEc project by José Manuel Barrueco Cruz, University of Valencia, Spain. Hardware provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas (IVIE), Valencia, Spain.
- Abstract views and downloads statistics from LogEc project by Sune Karlsson, Örebro University, Sweden.
- Author registration by Ivan Kumanov, Minsk, Belarus.
- Institutions database and ranking computations by Christian Zimmermann, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- RePEc has been initiated by Thomas Krichel.