Top 10% Deceased Economists, as of April 2021
What this page is about
- Only authors registered with the RePEc Author Service are considered.
- Only works listed on RePEc and claimed as theirs by registered authors are counted.
- A series of rankings by different criteria are aggregated. The average rank score is determined by taking a harmonic mean of the ranks in each criterion. For a list of criteria, see the general ranking page.
- This ranking takes into account those authors that are known to be deceased. Send omissions to Christian Zimmermann. Some may, for example, be among those with whom we have lost email contact.
- There are 61933 registered authors evaluated for all the rankings.
|Entity||Full ranking||Last 10 years||10 best authors||Last 10 years, 10 best authors||Top 5% authors||More|
|Institutions||Short||Details||Short||Details||Short||Details||Short||Details||All years||Last 10||More|
655 deceased authors have thus far been identified, about 1% of all authors.
|1||Gary S. Becker †||2.47|
|2||Alberto Francesco Alesina †||2.49|
|3||Martin S. Feldstein †||3.69|
|4||Alan B. Krueger †||3.77|
|5||Clive W. J. Granger †||6.03|
|6||Halbert White †||8.13|
|7||Zvi Griliches †||8.81|
|8||Jean-Jacques Laffont †||11.1|
|9||Paul A. Samuelson †||11.22|
|10||Anthony Barnes Atkinson †||11.41|
|11||Edward Lazear †||11.58|
|12||Martin L. Weitzman †||13.47|
|13||Sherwin Rosen †||13.66|
|14||Julio J. Rotemberg †||15.03|
|15||Kenneth J. Arrow †||15.26|
|16||William J. Baumol †||15.66|
|17||Rudiger Dornbusch †||16.01|
|18||Stephen A. Ross †||16.06|
|19||Milton Friedman †||18.4|
|20||Jacob A. Mincer †||19.13|
|21||Mike Wright †||19.21|
|22||Martin Shubik †||21.14|
|23||Emmanuel Farhi †||21.45|
|24||James Tobin †||23.64|
|25||Dale T. Mortensen †||26.65|
|26||Stephan Klasen †||26.66|
|27||Ansgar Belke †||27.29|
|28||Allan H. Meltzer †||27.4|
|29||Bruce D. Smith †||28.27|
|30||George J. Stigler †||28.94|
|31||Oliver E. Williamson †||31.75|
|32||Assar Lindbeck †||34.83|
Top 6%In alphabetical order
David Backus †, Gary Chamberlain †, Stephen Knack †, John McMillan †, Douglass C. North †, John M. Quigley †, Piet Rietveld †,
Top 7%In alphabetical order
S. Rao Aiyagari †, Harold Demsetz †, Robert E. Lipsey †, Merton H. Miller †, James A. Mirrlees †, Wallace E. Oates †,
Top 8%In alphabetical order
Peter F. Christoffersen †, Marvin Goodfriend †, Herschel I. Grossman †, Jack Hirshleifer †, Steven Klepper †, Franco Modigliani †, Elinor Ostrom †,
Top 9%In alphabetical order
Andrew J Hughes Hallett †, Ronald I. McKinnon †, Agnar Sandmo †, T. N. Srinivasan †, Adam Wagstaff †, Arnold Zellner †,
Top 10%In alphabetical order
James M. Buchanan †, John Enrico DiNardo †, Reinhard Selten †, Alan C. Stockman †, Hans R. Stoll †, Finis R. Welch †,
The data presented here is experimental. It is based on a limited sample of the research output in Economics and Finance. Only material catalogued in RePEc is considered. For any citation based criterion, only works that could be parsed by the CitEc project are considered. For any ranking of people, only those registered with the RePEc Author Service can be taken into account. And for rankings of institutions, only those listed in EDIRC and claimed as affiliation by the respective, registered authors can be measured. Thus, this list is by no means based on a complete sample. You can help making this more comprehensive by encouraging more publications to be listed (instructions) and more authors to register (form). For more details on the various rankings that are available as well for documentation, follow this link.
- Citations from CitEc project by José Manuel Barrueco Cruz, University of Valencia, Spain. Hardware provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas (IVIE), Valencia, Spain.
- Abstract views and downloads statistics from LogEc project by Sune Karlsson, Örebro University, Sweden.
- Author registration by Ivan Kumanov, Minsk, Belarus.
- Institutions database and ranking computations by Christian Zimmermann, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- RePEc has been initiated by Thomas Krichel.