Popular reaction to the intervention by the IMF in the Korean economic crisis
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has played an important role in restructuring the Korean economy over the past three years. Relying upon survey data collected in 1998 and 1999, this paper explores the role of the IMF in Korea, as perceived by its citizens. In the eyes of the Korean people, the IMF helped their economy to recover from the crisis. However, those Koreans who experience a decline in their income, are critical of the IMF intervention in their economy. Finally, our analysis of the public attitude data reveals that the pro-IMF orientations among the Korean people have little to do with their support for a market-oriented reform program.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstrasse 12, 45117 Essen|
Phone: 0201 - 183 3633
Fax: 0201 - 183 2292
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-due.de/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1998. "Korea: The misunderstood crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1555-1561, August.
- Hayo, Bernd, 1999.
"Knowledge and Attitude Towards European Monetary Union,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 641-651, September.
- Bernd Hayo, 1998. "Knowledge and Attitude Towards European Monetary Union," Macroeconomics 9810001, EconWPA.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Changyong Rhee, 2002. "Macroeconomic Impacts of the Korean Financial Crisis: Comparison with the Cross-country Patterns," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(4), pages 539-562, 04.
- JongWha Lee & Changyong Rhee, 2000. "Macroeconomic Impacts of the Korean Financial Crisis: Comparison with the Crosscountry Patterns," RCER Working Papers 471, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "Do IMF-Supported Programs Work? A Survey of the Cross-Country Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 98/169, International Monetary Fund.
- Taylor, Lance, 1998. "Capital Market Crises: Liberalisation, Fixed Exchange Rates and Market-Driven Destabilisation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 663-676, November.
- John Williamson, 1994. "The Political Economy of Policy Reform," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 68, November.
- Chang, Ha-Joon & Park, Hong-Jae & Yoo, Chul Gyue, 1998. "Interpreting the Korean Crisis: Financial Liberalisation, Industrial Policy and Corporate Governance," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 735-746, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)